View Full Version : MR sun & sky w/clouds producing ugly shadows

mactoons
06 June 2010, 07:53 PM
I am using zap's setup for clouds using mental ray's sun & sky and hooking a cloud map into haze. I like the results except for the shadows it produces which don't look very natural to me. I realize in my example I am repeating the map enough that it makes it look extra bad but is there any way to either soften or turn off shadows coming from the haze?

techmage
06 June 2010, 11:58 PM
I didnt think haze clouds casted shadows...

whats on your red van there doesn't look like a cast shadow to me at all, it looks a texture mapped onto the side of the van

mactoons
06 June 2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, not sure what's up but I think they are shadows. On the ground they don't look so bad but projected on the truck there they do look sort of like a mapped texture. I know they are coming from the haze though because when I disconnect the file there are no shadows. Anybody else have this issue?

mactoons
06 June 2010, 05:30 AM
Still not sure what these shadows are and how to fix them but there is another problem I am having with the physicalsky shader. I have set a visibility distance so that there is some fog in the scene but looking through a window with a mia_material_x glass shader the fog is not visible. Is this a ray tracing issue?

VanDerGoes
06 June 2010, 02:17 PM
These are not shadows, but the reflection of the haze map in the van material.

mactoons
06 June 2010, 05:39 PM
Not sure if it is reflections, I'm getting the artifacts on a default lambert shaded object as well...

VanDerGoes
06 June 2010, 05:55 PM
How did you connect the texture file to the haze?

mactoons
06 June 2010, 06:48 PM
I tried 2 different methods, connecting a file node to a luminance node to a multdiv (multiplying by 9) and into haze. I also tried connecting a file node directly into haze and setting "alpha is luminance" and adjusting the gain up. Both give me the same results...

VanDerGoes
06 June 2010, 11:08 PM
My personal workflow is: mentalray texture>mib_lookup_spherical>multiply_divide> luminance> haze slot of the sky node.
I hope that helps.

ytsejam1976
06 June 2010, 06:25 AM
disconnect the connection between haze Sky and haze Sun

mactoons
06 June 2010, 06:44 AM
Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks for the tip...

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2010, 06:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.