View Full Version : Retopology - dissapearing vertices

05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok, I've had the chance of trying out Z3 for about a week now and I gotta say I'm having a hard time believing this mess of a program could have happened by accident. Someone must have intentionally made it this bad.
Enough ranting.

I'm trying create a new topology on a character and so far it's been going pretty good (that is once you force yourself to look past the catastrophy that is the UI). Unfortunately I had to take a pause in my modelling last night and shut down the computer and of course, working with Z3, I doubted that I would be able to pick up where I left off without any outside help.
Anyway, what's happened now is I've managed to open up everything as I left it, but once I start adding vertices to my new topology, nothing happens. I can see the vertix being layed out, but once I click elsewhere it dissapears. If I select the parent vertix I can my new edge again.
What have I missed?

[Edit] This is what it looks like. On the mesh you can see that I've created a face, but it isn't visable when editing.

05-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Try to use 3Dcoat, it has the best retopo tool i've ever used. It takes 10 minuts to find out this tool.
look at this

Retopo in ZBrush is really terrible... :banghead:

05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Gonna try it out!

EDIT: 5 minutes into the trial and I'm allready loving it!

06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Doesn't really make sense to pay $285 for 3d coat if you are just looking for a retopology tool. You might want to give Topogun ( a try.

06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Doesn't really make sense to pay $285 for 3d coat.... . ;)

But Topogun slows :(

06-02-2010, 09:22 AM

But Topogun slows :(

Performance definitely is a drawback in Topogun, you are right. With a certain retopology poly count Topogun starts to get a bit slow. This is not a problem in 3d Coat? I never actually tried the retopology tool there.

06-02-2010, 09:58 AM
It's not a problem at all! The work in 3d Coat is realy fast and convenient.

06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
How many retopo polygons are you talking about? In 3D-Coat I've been able to work very easily with a fairly high number. Retopo does slow a little at some point but by then your count is so high you start to wonder why you are doing retopo.

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.