View Full Version : moving particles along surface without penetrating it?

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Related to my condensed water thread, but as a separate question: How do you stick particles to a surface while moving them?

I have tried speed by surface with control speed continuously, but my particles tend to get inside the surface rather than follow it's contour. Any tips?

thanks!

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 10:45 AM
Here are some screenshots to show what I mean. The bubbles start their climb nicely following the inside surface of the glass. However, once they reach a certain distance, they start to "sink" inside the glass (third shot) - how do I keep them on top of the surface?

scrimski
05 May 2010, 12:18 PM
Use a nonrendereable proxie mesh for a deflector and use push modifier to set the walls a bit inwards.

Maybe a speed by surface operator with a slight offset works too.

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks,

I will try that. In the meanwhile I tried playing with the accuracy settings (acceleration limit and integration step) as well as a coarser and a denser surface mesh, but got nothing but gray hairs, maybe the deflector will work better.

naik
05 May 2010, 01:48 PM
You have to crank up the density of your mesh in order to get better / correct results.
What shape do you have? Hemispheres?

If you mesh is dense enough, you will have no intersections...

I did a test and it looks very good.
pflow --> Position Object --> Shape Instance --> Speed by Surface --> Rotation ( Speed Follow )

Also check the Surface offsett value in the Position Object operator.

cheers

Naik

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 02:27 PM
Hmm,

I don't know what I did wrong at first. I tried it again with a slightly different cup (basically a hollow cylinder with some curvature) and it worked - at least they stopped sinking into the glass.

But there are still some issues, like skipping frames: How do you make this run smoothly?

With just 100 particles (instancing a very coarse hemisphere) it is a very jagged movement - it seems to skip frames. I'm doing this with a rather fast computer, so it should not be the issue, but rather my incompetence with the settings. I don't know much anything about animation, but I messed around the time control dialog and it seems to run a bit better if I set it to 1/4 speed (still skipping, though).

I have set the speed to just 1,0 mm as well as the acceleration limit. I have no idea if they are reasonable, especially the latter, but the idea is to have the particles rise calmly for a distance of maybe 2,5 cm.

naik
05 May 2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe you have to crank up the integration steps for your scene.

I will be not in front of my workstation.
But if you could upload your scene i can definately check it out
at home.

The rising speed shouldnt be a problem.
There you have to setup a correct value for your speed operator
(maybe some variation ? )
Also you have to set the speed to "Control Speed continously"...

cheers

naik

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks!

Actually I just got it to work pretty nicely - I found the cache operator :D

It seems that Pflow is not multi-threaded? I checked out task manager while it was caching and only 1 of my 4 cores was at work. Well, that explains the performance issues, I guess.

I have one more issue of my hemispheres flipping upside down towards the end of the animation. If I cannot solve it during the evening, then I will upload the scene.

naik
05 May 2010, 03:02 PM
Glad that you could fix it.

no problem, see how far you get.

good luck

wannabeArtist
05 May 2010, 04:02 PM
After quite a few tests, I'm becoming more and more willing to "fake" this effect with maps instead - it seem rather difficult to achieve a realistic look after all.

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2010, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.