LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Vertex Groover's 3D Sketchbook

Vertex Groover
05-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey all, I've found myself commuting to work for 5 hours a day so to make the best of the situation I'm been modelling a few things whilst on the train.
I figured one thread would be better than spamming the forum.
Crits and comments welcome for all especially the Titan, as I don't consider myself to be a character artist and it could be plagued with schoolboy errors!

Thanks for looking, expect more as I travel! Remember, crits and comments pretty please!

Derby Alleyways - 28000 Triangles, Modeled in 3DS Max

Warhammer 40K Eldar Revenant Titan - 12000 Triangles, Modeled in 3DS Max

Thanks again, apologies for the image spam :hmm:

05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
You don't have to model everything as one mesh in environments you know. Todays engines aren't dependent on vertex lighting to the same extent that a certain engine at a certain company is... ;p

Both pieces feel like they could be optimised a lot but they look like a good start for future work so no real crits apart from the lack of optimisation.

05-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I like what you have so far cant wait to see an update I think you should have a look at the 3d creative magazine as theres a enviro tutoiral in there and i think if you can get that look and feel to your scene it would look ace

Regards the character he looks thin i wont comment too much because I would need to see a refrence image

But looking good so far

Vertex Groover
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Cheers for the comments guys,

urgaffel: Yep, Its only recently I've noticed how much truemeshing has become second nature. A habit I'm really trying to kick! Optimizations will come... eventually :)

JeeVz: I'll keep my eyes out for 3D creative! Heres the link for the Titan. (

Vertex Groover
05-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Couple more buildings.

I found an interesting looking bar in the city and modelled it over the week. Its currently 9500 Tris with all instances

And I've managed to start finishing off an Amsterdam coffee shop I started last year. I'll post it here instead of reviving another thread.

Its currently 7600 Tri's, 2 1024 maps and 1 512 map.

I'll start playing around with the normal maps next.

05-31-2010, 02:05 AM
VertexGrover, I love-love-love the buildings!

My only crit is that the first two models seem to have unnecessary polygons

as for the titan, I think it looks great too, but something about your buildings just pops!

looking really good.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2010, 02:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.