View Full Version : male swordsman wip, trouble with skin bump
05 May 2010, 04:57 AM
hi this is my latest project, he's going to be a male swordsman, one of the
problems that keep recurring for me is that I have problems with the skin pores on a
bump map using zbrush, I'm in the dark as how I can use xnormal to make the skin pores show,
does it have something to do with the texture resolution? also is how I will attach the eyes to the sockets as 9 times out of ten they never fit, smoothing the sockets in zbrush makes it even worse as the topology gets messed up
05 May 2010, 11:11 PM
Separate your eyes out as a separate subtool, or you can go into move mode and if the eyes are a separate polygroup hold cntrl and tap on the body to mask them. You can use the polygroup menu in the tool palet to auto polygroup objects then hide groups by hitting shft+cntrl to group visible ones.
You are probably having difficulty with pore details because you cant get your mesh to a high enough subdivision to create them. First get the figure down, then add costume (usually as subtools) then only treat the visible skin areas with high detail. The invisible skin you should delete before you do that. You could use xnormal to generate normal maps but if the detail you are looking for isnt in the main model they wont come up in the normals of course. You could paint them in on the normal map itself but you really have to know what you are doing.
Yes detail has everything to do with map resolution.
05 May 2010, 04:00 AM
thanks for reply I'll do that
05 May 2010, 01:42 PM
decided to pose him in zbrush, transpose tool is very useful.
I'm planning for this guy to be like a swordsman in a brutish style like in conan era
the occlusion by the way is painted in zbrush, that's why there's some seeping out in the uv's, I'm trying to figure out how to solve this, either way It would just be covered by armor, but it might be useful to know how to solve it if I try doing a naked body in future
05 May 2010, 02:09 PM
armor is adjusted now http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/imageen/swordsman.jpg
05 May 2010, 03:27 PM
Hopefully I wonīt sound offensive nor too harsh, but I think you need a lot of anatomy and human figure training. I gotta say that proportions look pretty well actually, but everything else really needs a lot of work. I donīt have the time to do it right now, but if you allow me to Iīd like to paint your images over to point out what I mean with the anatomy at least. It would be tiresome to write and it wouldnīt be as clear as painting over.
The pose as well as most of the proportions look good.
05 May 2010, 11:37 PM
I see, I don't mind, I'd like to know what you think can be improved.
05 May 2010, 12:22 AM
That's a great start! I think the proportions look good! I think you are getting ahead of yourself though. The anatomy needs a ton of work. Too much to critique. You should start with studying head anatomy I think. Good luck!
05 May 2010, 03:47 PM
I think this would look a bit better in my humble opinion. I would also strongly recommend some anatomy books, like the loomis one that is awesome to learn some anatomy.
Next time it would help to have bigger images.
05 May 2010, 12:24 AM
LikuidSnake - that's a big help, this is much appreciated,
DoctorMonkeyFist- yeah your right about the head, I never noticed it was difformed and lacked definition , it must have been squished when I transposed it.
I figured out how to do the skin pores on the whole body finally, I just needed other alphas to make the very minute indentations, for some reason the default skin brush on zbrush doesn't seem to work well for me, but the free alphas from pixologic are very helpful
05 May 2010, 11:42 AM
I resculpted him again, planning to apply the normal map data to the posed version, when it was pointed out about the lack of anatomy did it mean that the figure lacked muscle definition?
I used a low poly version in the posed pic,
now that I figured out the pore bumps, my problem now is how to make the muscle definition appear in the render as it didn't seem to appear well enough to be seen in the posed one, maybe a problem in the lighting? I do some tests
here's a closeup of the face, he's going to have that sinister look typical of a villainhttp://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/imageen/head.jpg
05 May 2010, 09:20 PM
Muscle definition got a bit better, but still needs plenty of work, I would get a LOT of picture reference and if you can draw I would make a nice sketch of my character before I jump into zbrush!
05 May 2010, 02:36 PM
Skin look way too translucent, try setting higher number in scare conversion factor like 10 or more.
05 May 2010, 03:24 AM
LikuidSnake- I'll keep that in mind, I'll post a sketch of him
Anto-toni- I tested the algorythm control settings
scale conversion 10.0
I don't have much experience with SSS, so if anyone can post input in the proper skin settings would be helpful to me
05 May 2010, 07:04 PM
I would forget about SSS and rendering for now, until you get the model right, it is too much things at the same time, try to focus at one issue at a time.
05 May 2010, 01:21 AM
yeah I agree, it kinda is getting a handful, have to focus first on the important parts
05 May 2010, 02:52 PM
decided to do some sketches, heres a little doodle I did of him, I'ma gonna study the muscles next
05 May 2010, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.