XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : lighting a zombie scene

05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
hey all, i've modeled this guy a while ago and got my brother to animate it. i'm now working on the lighting and want to make this thing pretty bad ass. not being a lighting guy myself, i'm looking for all the help you got. unfortunately, i'm also not an animator so i won't be reworking any camera angles or anything.

as for the lighting set up, i am using mental ray in maya 2009. i have a directional light with a mib_cie_d plugged into it with a temp of around 7500 and the intensity is around 1ish for the moonlight. there is also 4 point lights around the room for a fill light kind of deal with the same mib_cie_d settings. in the lamp is another point light with a mib_blackbody with a temp of 3200 and an intensity of around 2300. all lights are working with a quadratic fall off. so far, only the lamp and the moon are casting shadows.

as i said, i'm using mental ray and raytracing, GI, and FG with fairly high settings on them all. i'm working to get a bit of a motion blur deal going as well on my brother's request.

obvious issues needing a remedy (with your help): whatever is happening with the lamp (currently just a glowing sphere inside and a tiny amount of transparency on the shade). and the windows. they have an alpha channel on them but i have no idea how to render that so the lighting can still go through the alpha channel without having to affect their render stats.

so here's the beast...

open it up in a new tab for a better look.

05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I can't help you with the lighting but here's some crits.

The cracked window needs a lot more detail.

The blood on the wall looks like it is bump mapped. This looks wrong. Perhaps change the speculatrity but looks really weird with it having a bump.

Also the floor looks like it could really benefit from some normal bump and/or displacement mapping. At this oblique angle it really stands out that tis just a plane.

05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Try to kill all the lights inside the room except for the lamp, and make a really strong white square area light outside the window shining inn.

Change the lamp to a point area light, Try switching the lamp to not cast shadow while you tweak inn the intensity of lights.

When you have a really contrasty image that has been tweaked with those two lights, you can slowly start adding fill lights from the room (behind the camera).

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.