View Full Version : Particle Instancer

Zaru
05 May 2010, 11:40 AM
Hi.
I need to populate my scene with some random rubble and garbage. I understand that the best way to achieve this is with particle instancer emitting premade objects. The question I have for you guys is, will it be possible to disconnect the geos from the particle solver when I'm satisfied with their distribution in the scene?

NaughtyNathan
05 May 2010, 12:21 PM
yes. if you use nParticles you can just do: Modify > Convert > nParticles To Polygon but if you use regular particles it is a little trickier. There is a plug-in somewhere that will do it for complex instances (search the autodesk Maya forums here) but if you only have one instanced polygon object you can do it easily with a couple lines of MEL.

:nathaN

Zaru
05 May 2010, 02:33 PM
yes. if you use nParticles you can just do: Modify > Convert > nParticles To Polygon but if you use regular particles it is a little trickier. There is a plug-in somewhere that will do it for complex instances (search the autodesk Maya forums here) but if you only have one instanced polygon object you can do it easily with a couple lines of MEL.

:nathaN
Thank you for your feedback. I use regular particles, but I think I've found the plugin you wrote about. It's called Particle Uninstancer from Nimble Studios it seems to work fine.

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2010, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.