View Full Version : hide and subdivide part of mesh

Debneyink
04 April 2010, 09:03 PM
sculpting a section of a steep canyon, I've bult the base layer in max and have imported it to mudbox

basic questions i know! but :

how do i hide part of my mesh so i can sculpt on the rest? then unhide it... etc.

and how do i subdivide part of my mesh so i can just concentrate on the close up areas and are there any issues with topology iwill face when doing this?

cheers

MrFunk
04 April 2010, 12:26 AM
as far as i know there is no partial subdividing

to hide parts of your mesh hit V, select the faces you want hidden and then hit H...to unhide hit U
you can also create selection sets (select faces and go to "Create -> Selection Set") to store the faces you want to be hidden. just keep in mind that this selections are bound to the subdivision levels

Gal
04 April 2010, 02:20 AM
what ever did happen to that ability? i remember in the first version of mudbox this was possible. subdiv only areas u wanted for greater detail by hiding everything else and subdividing only the visible portion, and in order to step up with other areas you would go to lower levels, show new faces and subdiv them..they would merge/show up with only the other detail already in the higher levels.

this was a great feature isnt this still possible somehow?

oglu
04 April 2010, 10:48 AM
no this feature is gone...

if you need it, suggest it...
help --> suggest a feature...

robinb
04 April 2010, 11:58 AM
what ever did happen to that ability? i remember in the first version of mudbox this was possible. subdiv only areas u wanted for greater detail by hiding everything else and subdividing only the visible portion, and in order to step up with other areas you would go to lower levels, show new faces and subdiv them..they would merge/show up with only the other detail already in the higher levels.

this was a great feature isnt this still possible somehow?

I remember reading somewhere on the Area that apparently the partial subdivision was incompatible with the performance improvements they added. The way it works now is quite different to how version 1 worked and there are a few compromises to get it to work as quickly. This is one, and the inability to hide subdivided polys is another (it hides only the patches based on the original base mesh now).

I guess they reasoned that once a 64bit version was available, the additional memory consumed by doing a full subdivision wasn't such a big deal as it was under 32bit only.

Sadly my laptop is only 32bit so I still hit memory issues a lot and have to move over to my less convenient desktop.

MasonDoran
04 April 2010, 02:24 PM
This feature doesnt bring any advantage now because Mud will optimize the display in real time.

For significant viewport improvement, hiding faces will help out a lot when working at higher resolutions. Be careful when doing this in 32bit because it will crash when it runs out of memory, but it will allow you to surpass the 6million limit as long as you dont display all of it at once. It does support going up subdivisions, just not down.

Gal
04 April 2010, 04:11 PM
it's not the display that i worry about but the polycount. keep adding subdivs to the entire model at some level mudbox will choke. with that option you could get very dense detail in specific areas without worrying about topology of the entire the model you sculpt on. i guess it's kinda like zbrush HD subdivision.

Debneyink
04 April 2010, 09:07 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking! it would be handy for certain things...

im currently sculpting a rocky canyon and the cameras only going to see the foreground i still want features in the background but obviously dont want the poly count.

MasonDoran
04 April 2010, 07:23 AM
If you have the Ram, people are getting in the 40 million polygons. Its going to slow down of course, so hiding unwanted polygons will boost performance considerably.

You can do this in 32bit as well.

The local subdivision from 1.0 would still choke if you exceeded the 6million marker on a 32bit system.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2010, 07:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.