View Full Version : nCloth Force Field nConstraint with a map?

JohnLIC
03 March 2010, 11:55 AM
Hi, maybe I just need more coffee, but I can't get a texture map to drive the force field constraint. I've plugged into the strength on the nComponent node, and on the dynamiceConstraint node. I tried the glue strength. I even tried the force.

I tried ramp textures and file textures.

I want to use an animated map to curl the edges of a pre-shattered surface, sort of like a time-lapse of a dry desert floor. The map will determine when the different areas start to curl.

thanks

HowardM
03 March 2010, 05:40 PM
I shouldnt be helping the enemy, hehe... but here, this may lead you in the right direction ;)

make sure you tell Niall I showed you how to do this!
and give Nicolas a big kiss from me ;)

JohnLIC
03 March 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the file. That's pretty cool. I got something going using two "attract to matching mesh" constraints - one set to effect "borders", that pulls the edges up.

People have told me that nCloth doesn't behave well with non-nCloth fields. That's why I was trying to use the nCloth "force field" nConstraint. Do you ever see problems using fields with nCloth?

JohnLIC
03 March 2010, 10:53 AM
PS - I gave Nicolas a big kiss, but I didn't tell him it was from you.

HowardM
03 March 2010, 11:03 AM
Noooooo, you must tell him its from me... are you working with him directly? :eek:

Who are these people!? Fields work fine, but ncloth doesnt act the same as it would using nucleus wind, which i believe takes into account the way normals are facing, etc.... doesnt matter really, as were always faking this fx stuff... just tweak and make it work ;)

JohnLIC
03 March 2010, 11:21 AM
I kissed the wrong guy. I think you're talking about my vfx supe....

HowardM
03 March 2010, 11:26 AM
lol, yes that wonderful Nicolas ;)

rsj123
03 March 2010, 05:56 PM
hey Howard..

pretty cool stuff..i opened the scene file but couldnt get exactly what is goin on...would you mind explaning the process step by step if possible?

thanks.

HowardM
03 March 2010, 10:09 PM
wont go into too much detail, as hopefully you know a lil about ncloth... ;)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6438503#post6438503

enjoy!

rsj123
03 March 2010, 02:25 AM
yeah...thats what i needed, awesome...thanks.

HowardM
03 March 2010, 09:01 AM
no worries, lets see what you come up with ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2010, 09:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.