View Full Version : 3d video/graphics cards

xchrisx
09 September 2003, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering how much better is a card such as an Elsa Synergy III as opposed to a regular graphics card such as an ATI Radeon 8500 or a Nvidia GeForce TI4600, for use with 3D applications such as Lightwave? I was considering buying an Elsa card but I dont know if its worth the price.

thanks
chris :D

Phyrea
09 September 2003, 07:59 PM
Umm, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Elsa stop making video cards? In fact, I think they went totally out of business. I bought their Elsa Gladiac 920 (first GeForce3 series), then about a year later they go defunked. However, that Elsa Gladiac was the best quality card I've ever owned. There was a reason Elsa was the only company to offer a 6-year warranty - cause their cards rocked.

leigh
09 September 2003, 08:03 PM
Didn't Elsa also make sound cards? And they all had female names?

leigh
09 September 2003, 08:04 PM
Oh wait I think I'm thinking of Echo cards... never mind :)

Phyrea
09 September 2003, 08:05 PM
They used to make a lot of peripherals...

ugh...browsing the web while rendering can get so slow sometimes!

xchrisx
09 September 2003, 08:40 PM
thanks for the info about the elsa cards, but i was mainly just asking how much can it improve rendering by getting one of those specialized cards as opposed to using just a regular card?

-chris :eek:

duderender
09 September 2003, 08:53 PM
xchrisx,

let us not forget, video cards have absolutely NOTHING to do with rendering performance.

Perhaps you are wanting faster real-time preview (which is not real-time rendering, no matter what anyone else says).

I am in the same boat looking for a good compromise between what I can afford and what workstation graphics are available.

Maybe LW8 will support Direct X 9, but probably not. If you have apps that require DX9, then get yourself a card that supports it, since DX9 has some real nice real-time shading characteristics. Otherwise, get an older workstation card like a wildcat or fire gl. They may not support directx, but when you're using LW it don't matter. The older fire gl cards supported direct x 8.1.

If you're wanting raw rendering speed increases, get a computer with a fast front-side bus and tonnes of ram and dual-processors. AMD is a great value for money right now.

xchrisx
09 September 2003, 09:43 PM
thanks for the info duderender.

-chris :p

Limbus
09 September 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by duderender Otherwise, get an older workstation card like a wildcat or fire gl. They may not support directx, but when you're using LW it don't matter.

Since LW does not take advantage of the extra opengl extensions a workstation card offers I would spend my money on a regular GeForce FX or Radeon. Both nomaly can be turned into the workstation version with some software hack if you want to (check out rivatuner).

If you're wanting raw rendering speed increases, get a computer with a fast front-side bus and tonnes of ram and dual-processors. AMD is a great value for money right now.

If you want to get a dual machine, dont get Athlon MP. All Athlon MP mobos are very outdated and since LW is heavily optimzed for SSE2 you will get much lower rendertimes with a P4 or daul Xeon setup. Or you might want to wait for the new Athlon 64 (FX) whioch also supports SSE2. Check out the benhcmarks at anandtech.com

Florian

duderender
09 September 2003, 01:50 AM
Good points Limbus,

Although, the reason I point out the dual Athlon, is because it's half the price of a P4 and you can use that money to make up on vid cards or more RAM.

The Opteron is out now, however only Linux natively supports it. Windows 64 maybe next year.

DrEvils
09 September 2003, 06:41 AM
Just adding my 2 cents, stay away from ati. i had one for a pc a few years back, the support sucked, gave'em another chance when I got my mac... haven't really been able to model for acouple of months now.. again the support issues... like i said just my 2 cents....

Limbus
09 September 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Evil
Just adding my 2 cents, stay away from ati. i had one for a pc a few years back, the support sucked, gave'em another chance when I got my mac... haven't really been able to model for acouple of months now.. again the support issues... like i said just my 2 cents....

These are old facts. All the new Radeon Cards work very good. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and never had any Problems with Lightwave or any other app. Plus most ATi Cards have a better signal quality than the GeForce cars.

Florian

MattClary
09 September 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by duderender
Although, the reason I point out the dual Athlon, is because it's half the price of a P4

Not sure I agree with this. I built a P4 3ghz machine a couple of months ago. From what i recall, I looked at doing dual AMD's and by the time you get the more expensive dual CPU board and 2 processors, it was the same or more to get the dual AMD rig. The fastest dual AMD listed at Blanos.com for Rad Relective Things is 56 seconds, my machine did it in 46 seconds (sixth fastest single CPU machine for that test). The P4s kick butt.

BeeVee
09 September 2003, 01:57 PM
Ah but that depends on what you are rendering. Try doing the same thing with a scene with a lot of hypervoxels and you'll find that the AMD solution is a lot faster...

B (with a crappy P3 600MHz at home, but a stonking dual Xeon 2.8GHz machine at work)

fourd
09 September 2003, 04:02 PM
Well your inluck...last night I just purchase a PNY nVidia GeForce FX Ultra 5600 /256DDR ram - $200 USD. and it fricken screams with LW and 3D studio, and as far as games ho...Oh yeah baby...

It was easy to install, and the performance boost over my last card, a Geforce2 400mx 64mb is just laughable..

For $200 bucks itis one awesome card, and $200 cheaper than the current nVidia 5900, which performance wise, I don't even think I would notice the difference.:thumbsup:

Neoklassik
09 September 2003, 12:40 AM
Anyone know if I bought a used or new GeForce4 Ti off ebay whether I could install it in my mac? Would it work? Lightwave is driving me crazy with the occasional freeze up and I'm hoping it's something I can fix. I have a ATI 9000 in right now but if it's not the RAM it's got to be the card right?

nessjp
09 September 2003, 01:30 AM
Check this Mutha:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=NBOX_N5900_Ultra-VTD256

DrEvils
09 September 2003, 03:17 AM
Anyone know if I bought a used or new GeForce4 Ti off ebay whether I could install it in my mac? Would it work? Lightwave is driving me crazy with the occasional freeze up and I'm hoping it's something I can fix. I have a ATI 9000 in right now but if it's not the RAM it's got to be the card right? It's the card. nobody believes it they all rave that ati is the greatest, blah blah... read what i wrote before. They've known about it for months now and nothing.. I heard the problem is worse with maya users... anywho head to here http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10084
and get a generic email back and help ol' policarpo and everyone else out.

Neoklassik
09 September 2003, 04:14 AM
Thanks! Ok I mailed.. hmm. Wonder when this will get fixed?:annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.