View Full Version : memory issues

Barracca
02 February 2010, 10:59 PM
Hey chaps.

Im having a little trouble and hope that someone could please advise. Im fairly new to mudbox and a complete novice with computers.
My problem is that my main computer went "bang" the other day and has been sent off to get fixed.
Now i didnt have any issues on my other computer, but i had alot more ram than the one im stuck with, But i seem to be running out of memory rather fast. It seems to reach the limit and then crash without dumping it somewhere like the hard drive to free up memory.
I did some searching on the net to find out that there is or was an option to move information from memory to a hard drive in Mudbox but i cant seem to find it, and ive done quite a bit of searching.
Is there a setting in 2010 that makes this automatic or something? and if so how do i change its limits? if thats what it needs.

Thanks in advance

Barracca

Barracca
02 February 2010, 11:15 PM
unfortunatly its only got 2 gig on this one. its only 32 bit opperating system too and the motherboard will only support 1 more gig on a 32 bit system. (took me ages to find that out hehe)

musashidan
02 February 2010, 11:15 PM
What ram have you got on you current GPU?

musashidan
02 February 2010, 11:33 PM
unfortunatly its only got 2 gig on this one. its only 32 bit opperating system too and the motherboard will only support 1 more gig on a 32 bit system. (took me ages to find that out hehe)

That won't cut it. :D By GPU i meant the ram on your graphics card. Mud uses the GPU extensively and a decent card with at least 512meg(preferably a gig) of ram is recommened. Autodesk list the system specs to run Mud optimally on their site.

Barracca
02 February 2010, 11:43 PM
ahh hehe, like i said im a complete novice with computers. Just looked it up and my graphics card has 512mb of memory. i know its low but it should be enough to get by for now. What i really wanted to know is where i can find (if 2010 has it) the option to move info from memory onto the hard drive. like this in this link,
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-move-information-from-memory-hard-drive-mudbox-249020/

and i must thank you for your swift responses, very much appreciated.

Barracca
02 February 2010, 11:57 PM
i must also point out that it is the commit charge that is reaching 100% (8 gb) in this case that seems to be causing the problem. it keeps running out of virtual memory. is that a RAM issue?
i miss my poor broken comp :~(

oglu
02 February 2010, 08:55 AM
this is an old mud 1.0 feature...
get 12gig ram and move on...

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2010, 08:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.