View Full Version : ambient occlusion pass in vue?

pierre1981
02 February 2010, 12:46 PM
Hi

Im trying to render out an aerial shot of a road with tree's but i can't get the shadow density to look correct. Im quite new to vue but have used Max for many years. I basically want an ambient occlusion pass like i get from max (just a black and white image detailing where the contact shadows are) Basically everything looks like it needs grounding. I'm getting shadows being cast from the trees as i want but they aren't getting any darker as the get closer to the trunk.

cheers

Pete

bruno021
02 February 2010, 11:02 AM
This pass doesn't exist in Vue, unfortunately. Vue has an Indirect lighting pass, but no AO pass. And the shadow pass is only taking direct shadows into account.

Cuni
02 February 2010, 06:01 PM
I haven't tried it, but I wonder if it would work if your atmosphere settings are set to ambient occlusion, you hide all direct lights, and assign a grey shader to everything.

bruno021
02 February 2010, 07:53 PM
This should work, brilliant idea!

pierre1981
03 March 2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah i thought about doing this too. Is there an easy way of putting a material override on everything globally? Going through and doing each object in an eco-system individually will take forever!!!

bruno021
03 March 2010, 02:17 PM
Well, maybe this would be possible using the ecosystem master object?

InfernalDarkness
03 March 2010, 07:49 PM
I recall successfully creating an AO pass for a Vue scene, some time ago. I can't remember how I did it precisely, but it worked like a charm! The hardest part was getting the max distance proper, which is true about any AO setup really.

Key point in my nebulous post: it's certainly possible.

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2010, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.