View Full Version : Painting on displacement (alpha mask)

uphillcastle
02 February 2010, 04:38 PM
I am trying to model an old picture frame...I made an alpha mask and deformed a plane in zbrush, to get the texture of it...

Something like this...

Zbrush mesh and alpha deformation (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47211257@N07/4359673580/sizes/o/)

Now obviously when I try to combine them both using projection master in zbrush, the contours of the plane and mesh dont match...

So I was wondering whether I could bring the mesh into Mudbox and paint the displacement on like a texture? Thanks!

musashidan
02 February 2010, 11:57 PM
Now obviously when I try to combine them both using projection master in zbrush, the contours of the plane and mesh dont match...

What do you mean by this?

oglu
02 February 2010, 09:04 AM
it seams to me you trying to do somethign that take days to finish in an hour...
do the basic modeling in max/maya... make some clean uvs... and sculpt it...
there is no way to get these kind of stuff only with painting some displacement on it...

uphillcastle
02 February 2010, 09:47 AM
So after I have sculpted it, how do you add the kind of surface noise you get from the displacement map? I think that is what I am a bit confused about really...thanks!

uphillcastle
02 February 2010, 09:54 AM
What do you mean by this?

I thought I could somehow lay that displacement map over my base mesh. But because the displacement is flat and the frame is modeled, the 2 cant sit parallel with one another. I know that I have to model the base mesh more - just wondering whether I could use that displacement as a sort of guide adding it to the base, putting it on a layer, and sculpting detail out from it gradually... ? I hope I am making sense..lol:scream:

ienrdna
02 February 2010, 01:53 PM
You modeled window frame and detail for it on separate plane? If so then bake displacement for plane and stencil it on the frame. And next time sculpt details on the on the actual object.

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2010, 01:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.