View Full Version : Making rocks in mudbox

01 January 2010, 10:45 PM
Alright so I tried making a rock in mudbox the other day, and found it to be very frustrating. I guess I have come to the conclusion that Mudbox is designed to only model organic models such as faces, bodies, trees and plants, maybe cars, and other models that have a low poly already made in another program.

On that note, I looked for hours looking for rock modeling tutorials for max, but had little, to no luck. Can anyone point me in the direction of a nice tutorial for making rocks in either max / mudbox.

Also, If its better to make realistic rocks in ZB or something other program, can you please refer me to it?

01 January 2010, 02:58 AM
Just what you're after. 'Mudbox rock sculpting' (

Although, if you've acess to ZB r3 the new trim/polish/planar brushes are much better for this kind of thing than Mud's current toolset. (IMO)

01 January 2010, 04:13 AM
Thank you very much! This tutorial has helped!

02 February 2010, 08:04 AM
You can use imprint with some Rocky Stamps from there

Also,the Scrape sculpting tool is useful for making stones that have fragmented shape.

And,adjust the falloff whenever its needed.

02 February 2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you Veleran! Im gonna poke my head around there more so I can find some more useful stuff there!

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2010, 06:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.