View Full Version : Mudbox for hard modeling?

Bullit
01 January 2010, 01:56 AM
I am trying Mudbox. Is it difficult to do concept design which has hard edges: like stylish objects, vehicles?

If it isn't , any tutorial, lessons available?

InfernalDarkness
01 January 2010, 04:49 AM
I have also had such difficulties, but you really shouldn't be doing cars in Mudbox anyway. NURBS, poly, or SubD, but not subdivided sculpting.

Which main app are you using or most familiar with? All of the "big dogs" can handle vehicles internally just fine. Mudbox would be a huge waste of polygons, on an automobile, as most of the surfaces are actually quite flat and don't need any low-level details.

tin-tin
01 January 2010, 05:07 AM
Give zbrush a try, trim and polish brushes are great.

musashidan
01 January 2010, 11:41 AM
Give zbrush a try, trim and polish brushes are great.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I've been using Mud for the last year and have recently taken up ZB again (since R3) and i have to say the 2 apps compliment each other nicely. There seems to be too much resentment between Mud/ZB users when really both can work in tandem in your workflow. Mudbox is definitely a no-no for HS sculpting. And certainly hard surface sub-D modeling in your 3D app isn't very practical time wise for concepting. It may not be feasible for everyone to have Mud and ZB but if you can afford it, get ZB. Especially is you will be doing alot of hard surface concepting.

Bullit
01 January 2010, 02:35 PM
@InfernalDarkness

This is only in concepting phase. Drawing in paper or digital is not enough already, and i started XSI pushing vertices and then drawing a texture over the model changing lights etc. but it is not enough for some details.

@ tin-tin & musashidan

Thank you, i'll look into it.

InfernalDarkness
01 January 2010, 11:25 PM
I agree with what musashidan has said, other than the part about hard surface modeling being impractical in a main 3D app.

In Rhino, for example, I can hard-surface model an entire car in minutes or hours (depending on the LOD necessary), and change it on the fly whenever necessary with History. In SolidWorks, Maya, or CATIA, the same is true. I don't believe Zbrush or Mudbox are very conducive for hard surfacing, to be honest, and lack most of the tools you'd need to make a decent automobile. Good luck making headlight arrays in either!

But for basic body sculpts, Zbrush should be just fine.

musashidan
01 January 2010, 01:06 AM
I agree with what musashidan has said, other than the part about hard surface modeling being impractical in a main 3D app.

In Rhino, for example, I can hard-surface model an entire car in minutes or hours (depending on the LOD necessary), and change it on the fly whenever necessary with History. In SolidWorks, Maya, or CATIA, the same is true. I don't believe Zbrush or Mudbox are very conducive for hard surfacing, to be honest, and lack most of the tools you'd need to make a decent automobile. Good luck making headlight arrays in either!

But for basic body sculpts, Zbrush should be just fine.

I was more refering to sub-D hardsurface modeling. Unfortunately Max's NURBS tools are very old and have never been updated. You have to get the Powernurbs/solids plugin. Also,it might be a bit much to purchase an app like Rhino just to concept. Not to mention having to learn the technical aspects of NURBS surfacing. I think the whole idea of concepting hard surface stuff as pertaining to sculpting has been turned on it's head with some of the tools that have been introduced into ZB of late.

InfernalDarkness
01 January 2010, 01:14 AM
I concur, but believe that if automobiles and hard modeling are your bread and butter, Rhino is a great program at a great price. It's the cornerstone of my arch/viz work.

But back on topic... Mud and Z are both great programs, and no reason not to use both!

Bullit
01 January 2010, 07:13 PM
Rhino, like most are only good if you already know what you are gonna do. I want to explore forms, organic, curvature but with hard edge, planar when necessary .

I already modeled in Solidworks, Max,XSI, Rhino and Alias StudioTools before it was bought by Autodesk. So i know how to model in Solids, SubD's and Nurbs. I need to change volume, erase easily, add detail, erase detail, tweak, Change.
In short a Sketchup for that elusive place between organic modeling and box modeling. But it doesn't exists... :D :p

Clappy3D
01 January 2010, 09:07 PM
Try this workflow:

1) Quick sketches in Photoshop (or whatever you use). Just enough to identify cool silhouettes.

2) Model general shapes from thumbnails in Max (or whatever you use). Just the overall shape. Spend no more than 15-20 minutes per base mesh.

3) Import into Zbrush and use their hardsurface brushes, using the layers to try out different iterations.

InfernalDarkness
01 January 2010, 11:20 PM
Try this workflow:

1) Quick sketches in Photoshop (or whatever you use). Just enough to identify cool silhouettes.

2) Model general shapes from thumbnails in Max (or whatever you use). Just the overall shape. Spend no more than 15-20 minutes per base mesh.

3) Import into Zbrush and use their hardsurface brushes, using the layers to try out different iterations.

We already were discussing just that, my friend.

Turic
02 February 2010, 03:06 PM
there are a model of car in MB2010, in internet i see a video, where this car were sculped and sent to alias studio. i tried to make something with my model, spend a day with it and take polys :)

see, how in new ZB work with car - was interesting, but in MB hard surface is for chars, i think...its hard to make something bigger...

DarthWayne
02 February 2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.dashdotslash.net/temp/dentist/finals/new/finalWall_public.jpg

Alll sculpte dby hand from low res bases in mudbox..... so yes it can do it. No special plugins, stencils , stamps or tricks....

Wayne...

Turic
02 February 2010, 09:50 AM
this is look very nice, but only charecter, not vehicles...

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2010, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.