View Full Version : UV seams: How to deal with them?

Triple G
08 August 2003, 04:22 AM
I finally decided to get around to texturing my Spawn model. I set up his UV map using the endomorph unwrap trick, and everything seems to be going ok. My question is this: Since seams are pretty much inevitable with UV mapping, what's the best way to deal with them? I know to break up the map where you would normally have seams or folds in the actual object, and to try to hide them as much as possible in unseen areas (under arms, inside of legs, etc.) For seams such as the ones in the attached pic, what would be the best method of hiding/minimizing them?

http://home.comcast.net/~greggd/temp/spawnUVcheck.jpg

I'm planning on having a pretty intricate map, so it's not like I can just leave those areas blank. I'm guessing that I could set up a weight map containing the points making up the seam, and then use that as an alpha for another texture to blend across the seam? Would that work? I don't have access to something like Bodypaint or Deep Paint, so projection painting is out of the question (though I suppose that would solve my problem quite handily!)

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

roguenroll
08 August 2003, 09:40 AM
yeah thats probably not an easy one, I'm kinda stumbling around
UVs now.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/bodypaint3d/bp3d_r2/bp3d_2_lw_e.html
this says it does it, It looks great. I'm sure you've seen it.

anyway I'll check back and see what the experts say.

R

Triple G
08 August 2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks Rogue, yeah I've seen it. Looks really sweet, but I just don't have the money for it right now. I think what I'm going to wind up doing is using weight maps as gradients to alpha out the UV at the seams, revealing a procedural layer below. I did some tests last night, and it seems like it will work. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I'm hoping it should at least be acceptable. :)

Carm3D
08 August 2003, 09:33 PM
Yeah, don't try to do the whole body in one UV-Map. Make one for the torso, and others for the limbs. THis way they can overlap eachother and fade out.

Triple G
08 August 2003, 11:23 PM
Hi Carm, thanks for the reply. Here's a snapshot of the UV map I have set up for the character. So, you're saying that instead of this, I should make separate UV maps...one for each part that I have broken up here? Won't that still give me seams? Or should I expand each portion by one row of polys, and then use the weight maps I have set up to blend between them? Would that work, or am I just crazy? :curious:

Carm3D
08 August 2003, 11:35 PM
I've seen some people paint their maps in one continuous UV map like that.. THey take colour samples and carefully match them up to the disjointed polys that continue on somewhere else.

If you're gonna split them up into several UV maps, yeah, the various maps would share common polygons. But it's a little more complex than that because you have to make provisions for getting rid of that "tearing" artifact.. Look at this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83213) thread. But yeah, what you were describing about making weight maps to define where the various maps go would work. Let me know if you have any problems with it...

I am by no means a master of texturing, however. Leigh wears that bejeweled crown.

(Check out my new flash intro!)

P.S. Considering the musculature of your character, his lats (http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html) seem a bit puny.

kretin
08 August 2003, 12:56 AM
Basically the answer is "Careful texturing" :)

The trick is matching up the texture edges as closely as possible, without using any blending... Then when you blend it'll fix any really tricky bits

If you want to really get picky...

This is easiest if you've got overlapping UV maps, and made easier by the fact that you've done your UVs by morphing. I'll describe the transition between torso and leg UVs...

Texture your torso, right to the edge of the UV map including all the detail you're after.

In Layout Morph to the UV morph for the legs, and render

Now use that render as the starting point for the leg textures, if you've got overlapping UV maps, the top row of polys is already there for you.

If you don't have overlapping UV maps, then you'll want to morph the bottom row of polys in the torso (the adjoining ones to the legs) so they align to the top row of the legs. Then your render will show you where/how to match the detail.

If you've got alot of detail in those areas, you may want to consider UV mapping the torso and legs together, basically unwrapping the mesh from the back center and down along the inside line of the legs.

For the hands and feet, make sure your seams are under the arm/ankle guards, so seams won't show.

evan
08 August 2003, 03:21 AM
Kretin- hey, thanks for the tips! Much appreciated! :beer:

leigh
08 August 2003, 10:58 AM
For that kind of situation, I usually make some pics with alpha channels and stick them over that area with a normal planar prjection to blend the two UV maps together :)

Also just try painting only neutral colours and details along the edges of your UV maps ;)

Triple G
08 August 2003, 04:09 PM
Excellent tips, guys....thanks a ton! :beer:

MorBioS
08 August 2003, 06:58 PM
oh god :(

hey guys. do you have know about any tutorial that explain this step by step??

I'll appreciate if someone could make a tutorial step by step. hehehe :) alright I'll be satisfied with a URL

thanks
and excuse my english

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.