View Full Version : Annoying computer habits of friends, spouse, loved ones, etc

gmask
08 August 2003, 08:29 PM
My girlfriend asked me to help here with something on her laptop.. I instinctly emptied the trash can as soon as sat down .. I dunno why.. I shouldn't have done it.. anyway she gets all freaked out and says "I was saving things in there"!?!?!?? Of course my reaction is less than sympathetic.. "don't save things in the trash"!! Oh and somehow my empting the trash has something to do with the flash player no longer working?!?!?! with windows I wouldn't doubt this being the case.. she probably installed the program into the trash bin somehow :shame:

Another bad habit is that she will never leave an application open.. anytinme she's shows me something it's this constant opening and closing of one app to get to another.. even though her system has enough ram to have at least twoor three major programs open at once!! ARGH!!!

boomji
08 August 2003, 09:44 PM
saving everything on the dektop...everything !!!:banghead:
having every frikkin app in your sys tray or task bar grrrr...

b

Tex3D
08 August 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by boomji
saving everything on the dektop...everything !!!:banghead:
having every frikkin app in your sys tray or task bar grrrr...

b

ROTFLMAO!!!:beer: I HATE that one!!

I also LOVE hearing:

This computer is a piece of shit!! Even though it is 10 times better than mine AND newer:annoyed:

or that one "buddy" that reformats EVERYTIME some minor thing happens, and THEN asks to "borrow" every piece of software I have ever paid for even though he makes FAT bank....asshole.

Let's not forget the guy that LOVES fiddling with his registry

or or or

The d00d that downloads EVERY app on the planet and has a Tray FULL of apps and then bitches :

"I'ts too slow for some reason":surprised

BLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

-Dave

Thanks for reminding me of the crap I go through with these people. 'preciate it ..especially BEFORE I have to hit the highway.

TheGreenGiant
08 August 2003, 09:58 PM
umm my skanky housemate when he goes online for 9 hours straight. We don't have broadband so it ties up the phoneline. Annoying.

That's it and umm. macs piss me off but I just wanted to put that in. :D

markbones
08 August 2003, 10:01 PM
I have come close to emptying other people's trash cans as well :)

My friend's dad's desktop is SO littered with icons, there's no background space left. "NO!! Don't move them! I need them all!"

A lot of these "annoying" habits seem to come from inexperience, or ignorance - some friends are just not computer literate.

I made my friend has a"Downloads" folder to keep all the install files he downloads. "Yes, I downloaded it to my Downloads folder. Where's my Downloads folder?"

"Yes I downloaded it. Well, I don't remember to which folder."

"It's not working. Yes, I am sure I downloaded the right one... What? I have to install it too?"

"I didn't want it so I just deleted the whole folder. Whaddya mean UnInstall?"

:applause:

Rudity
08 August 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by markbones

"I didn't want it so I just deleted the whole folder. Whaddya mean UnInstall?"

hahah, I remember when my mom did that. I think she's over that stage now.

somlor
08 August 2003, 04:02 AM
c:\program files\

erilaz
08 August 2003, 04:22 AM
I've grown up being both mac and pc literate, so I get annoyances from both sides of the computing world.:surprised

The most frequent one is "I can't get onto your computer. What's your password?"

Desktop saving also bugs me. The only things I have on my desktop are the ones I can't get rid of!

And freakin' closing the explorer window! I HATE that. I permanently have an explorer window open set to my most frequently used folder, then people come along and close it when they shut the pc down!

And what's with them saving EVERY POSSIBLE link in my favourites? I'm sure they're never going to look at that amazon page with the "Windows 95 for dummies" book ever again. I found I had over 10 megs of favourites! Do you know how long it took me to clean all that crap out?

And THE MOST hated thing of all:
LEAVING HALF-EMPTY TEA MUGS ON MY DESK!
For starters, they didn't even finish drinking the tea, which is such a damn waste, then they leave the cold milk-scummed dregs for me to find when I come home!

Um... yeah... I think i've got a few anger issues to work out.:surprised

trthing
08 August 2003, 04:25 AM
- Opening/editing files directly from removable media, preferably the slowest ones...

- Theme mania: custom sounds, colors, fonts, wallpapers & screensavers (preference for shareware ones)

- Saving instead of Saving as and then complaining a lot about losing that critical document.

- Spending a lot of time reading that blatantly obvious piece of SPAM as if it were a personal communication.

@Gmask: Installing into trash bin??? LOL

eirenicon
08 August 2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by gmask
My girlfriend asked me to help here with something on her laptop.. I instinctly emptied the trash can as soon as sat down .. I dunno why.. I shouldn't have done it.. anyway she gets all freaked out and says "I was saving things in there"!?!?!??

You're lucky, man, my girlfriend always rags on me to empty the trash, not to keep it full :p

peanuckle
08 August 2003, 04:26 AM
i knew of someone who got mad because i ran spybot and got rid of gator. "Hey! i use that everyday man, also why is my computer running so slow its new?"

I really hate when some friend of my family expects me to fix their computer and expect not to pay me. Lots of horror stories come from that beginning.

Also my grandma calls all the time everytime theres a error and she will read this huge error messege over the phone to me (acctually my mom first and she has computer repair skills)

Also I would get a call from my scared grandmother because she did an ILLEGAL operation and a program closed. I still tell her you didnt break the law its just there was an error in the computer

pea~

*phone rings*

davemcd
08 August 2003, 04:28 AM
It always buggs me when ppl have their folders set to thumbnail view.... Especially seeing as how i usually have to help people find / move/ copy/ fix etc. I'm so used to detail view so i can find what i'm after in a flash grrrrr....

Having said that i'm guilty of some of the other peeves ppl have.... I often download stuff to my desktop basically so that i either have to move it somewhere organised or delete it and that way i dont have too much useless crap littering up my machine (cos if its on the desktop eventually it'll bug me enough to do somethign about it)

Also i work from home so i'm often online for more than 9 hours at a time (getting ADSL when i move in about 3 weeks).

DaveMcD

opus13
08 August 2003, 04:38 AM
ive been hassled far too many times for free repair work, that all i say when someone asks for help is:"what's it worth to you?"

they think im kidding the first time. then i ask for cash, wine, or beer up front.

people get off your case quick :)

otherwise:
i have a friend who always asks me questions about his computer, expecting me to know exactly what the configuration is.
i am at the point that i wont even talk to him anymore, simply because he wont leave me the hell alone, even after i have fixed his problem :thumbsdow

JDex
08 August 2003, 04:39 AM
It drives me nuts when people have a scroll wheel on their mouse, but still use the scrollbar arrows. I cringe when they want to scroll down and work so hard to get the cursor over the little arrow box then proceed to click 50+ times.

Also people who have the quick launch toolbar open, with the IE button on it, but continue to go through the 3 click process of

Start>Programs>IE6

Computers are mostly an efficient tool, use them efficiently.

erilaz
08 August 2003, 04:39 AM
Damn.. I hate thumbnail view too.

The only thing thumbnail is good for is quickly reviewing images.

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 04:41 AM
My mother runs XP on a computer with 64 megs of RAM. She runs it in 800x600 on a 15" monitor with large icons turned on and all text enlarged to 14pt or so. Her taskbar is on the side, and is set to autohide. Her desktop icons are not organized in any way, they are in fact not aligned to a grid, rather scattered around the desktop haphazardly. If I ever need to use her computer for anything, I am not allowed to change any of her size settings, since I always forget to change them back (of course i forgot to change them back all of once, and that is the entire basis for this argument).

My best friend runs Macs. I can't get flash to work on them, nor can i get divx avis, or any avis for that matter to play on them.

This is all annoying to no end...

erilaz
08 August 2003, 04:42 AM
Double-clicking html links also bugs me.

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 04:55 AM
she does that too!

markbones
08 August 2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by JDex
It drives me nuts when people have a scroll wheel on their mouse, but still use the scrollbar arrows. I cringe when they want to scroll down and work so hard to get the cursor over the little arrow box then proceed to click 50+ times.
LOL! I hate when people don't have a wheel mouse and I'm sitting there trying to scroll (out of habit) and there's no wheel and the cursor does not move a millimeter.

Originally posted by Erilaz
I sit next to my friend and I'm yelling like I'm at a sporting event: "SINGLE CLICK!"

JDex
08 August 2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Valkyrien
My mother runs XP on a computer with 64 megs of RAM. She runs it in 800x600 on a 15" monitor with large icons turned on and all text enlarged to 14pt or so. Her taskbar is on the side, and is set to autohide. Her desktop icons are not organized in any way, they are in fact not aligned to a grid, rather scattered around the desktop haphazardly. If I ever need to use her computer for anything, I am not allowed to change any of her size settings, since I always forget to change them back (of course i forgot to change them back all of once, and that is the entire basis for this argument).

Ahh, my mother was the same way... I retrained her though.

I also made my own login for her computer so I could use it from time to time with settings that a normal person would use. Actually I made it the Admin account, since I have to fix it so frequently.

erilaz
08 August 2003, 05:17 AM
And the continual accidental "set as wallpaper".:annoyed:

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by JDex
Ahh, my mother was the same way... I retrained her though.

I also made my own login for her computer so I could use it from time to time with settings that a normal person would use. Actually I made it the Admin account, since I have to fix it so frequently.

I did the same, but the monitor resolution was universal...couldn't get it to realize I wanted 1024x768 on one account and 800x600 on the other:rolleyes:

JDex
08 August 2003, 05:22 AM
I did the same, but the monitor resolution was universal...couldn't get it to realize I wanted 1024x768 on one account and 800x600 on the other:rolleyes:

One of those "retraining" or shall I say "deprogramming" topics. :thumbsup:

gmask
08 August 2003, 07:24 PM
>>>- Saving instead of Saving as and then complaining a lot about losing that critical document.

..yeah.. in the usually fervor to close everything before openiogn another program .. illstrator asked if she wanted to save the dpocument and as she hovered over no.. I say.. "don't you want to save that".. then she clicks no and bye bye.. it wasn't saved!

>>>And the continual accidental "set as wallpaper".

I used to do that all the time.. but in XP they have moved the set to background away from the save picture command.. thank god!

>>>LOL! I hate when people don't have a wheel mouse and I'm sitting there trying to scroll (out of habit) and there's no wheel and the cursor does not move a millimeter.

I hate wheel mice.. I recently bought 3 extra regular 3 button mice as they seem to becoming extinct.. I'm currently use an SGI 3 button mouse that is at least 6-7 years old.. best damn mouse ever!

>>>ive been hassled far too many times for free repair work, that all i say when someone asks for help is:"what's it worth to you?"

Back when I used Macs I had a real problem with tis.. at one point peopel I had never met were calling me at work asking me about compotuer problems because a mutual friend had reccomended me. Once I had moved to california this stemmed off for awhile.. now when it happens I simple say I do use macs anymore and fortunatley the OS is now so different than it used to me that none of my help would be of ay use anyway.

Stu_Hacking
08 August 2003, 07:43 PM
Clicking 50 times will not open the program 50 times faster!!!:shame:

gmask
08 August 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Stu_Hacking
Clicking 50 times will not open the program 50 times faster!!!:shame:

I eventually realized I needed to reinstall my oS because everytime I would restart it would take freaking forever for the desktop to catch up and I would usualy in impatience click some icons several times and accidently open several copis of the same window or program..oopss! It's like pressing the elevator button too many times..

AB09
08 August 2003, 08:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of people touching my screen.

lesc
08 August 2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by erilaz

some how that bother me too!

UrbanFuturistic
08 August 2003, 08:15 PM
When you let other people in your family use your computer and they install a million tons of shit (like MSN messenger set to autologin on startup using their ID) and having to take their use of the machine into consideration when installing stuff ('cause otherwise your 25 year old sister throws a fit like a 5 year old).

I was narked enough having to set Windows as the default boot OS on hardware I paid for and everyone panicking everytime the boot manager screen changed (with me having to tell them every frickkin' time that this would not affect them in any way whatsoever).

Of course, installing Win2K Pro, restricting installation priviledges 'for security reasons' (can never be too careful with all those viruses you know... haha, like I didn't have all scripting/ActiveX deactivated and a continuously up to date AV prog and OS anyway) and giving everyone their own login meant my session worked how I wanted it to.

Oh, and my mum overruling me on my banning of any drinks near the computer after having to dismantle a keyboard and clean it.

...that and people who leave high powered mobile phones an inch from your screen no matter how many times you tell them not to 'cause it futzes with the damn tube!!!!!

'course, that was then.

...and relax...

On the upside, did work on a friends computer and got free dinner, lots of coffee and a Sharp Zaurus SL5000-d :thumbsup:

At some point I'll also be building a cheap PC for one of my housemates and purely because she contributes more to the housework (possibly obsessive compulsively, I mean, the only way around it is to tie her down and do it yourself!) I'm not gonna charge her for work done... and of course my girf has instant karma in that score ;)

regards, Paul

lesc
08 August 2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by AB09

this one is the biggest one.

why the f*ck they touch screen!

gmask
08 August 2003, 08:20 PM

LOL.. Yeah I hate that too.. But I also need like a sneeze guard on mine.. Back in the day when I worked in an office with a cleaning service i had to hang a sign over my SGI monitor telling the cleaning service to not clean my monitor as it had this plastic coating that could only be cleaned with alcohol and the cleaning services windex or whatever allways left spots on it...

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 08:46 PM
I HATE people touching my laptop screen, i allways yell at them not to, but they still do.

my desktop is half covered with icons at 1024 (max res on this laptop) and on my other machine, has 4 collums at 1600x1200 (thats a hell of a lot).

double clicking on hyperlinks, i hate it and everyone i know does it.

rightclicking and selecting back instead of hitting backspace.

lots of things, esp using AOL (i hate ppl for that)

d4rk
08 August 2003, 09:01 PM
I can't stand it when people leave greasy, dirty fingerprints on my mouse. What is up with that? Don't people wash their hands?

Also I hate it when people touch my screen too, it's mostly just after I have cleaned it. You don't need to touch to the screen when pointing to something in it lol. I can see what you are pointing at.

Also it's annoying when peole have a really bad picture of their cat or dog with a mean case of red-eye set as the desktop background. These are the same people that reffer to it as their "screen saver".

"Ooh I have to set that as my screen saver!"

That really annoys me, it's not a fricken screen saver damnit it's a desktop background!

My biggest pet peeve is people that eat over their keyboard. I swear to god, my keyboard that I have at work, one of these clear Mac ones, when I first got hired I came in and it had a ton of crumbs and crap on the underside of it, on the inside! And the keys were incrusted with crumbs and dirt. People are freaking slobs! After several months I was able to clean most of it up, there are still some "rogue crumbs" inside that I can't get at.

gmask
08 August 2003, 09:13 PM
>>>My biggest pet peeve is people that eat over their keyboard. I swear to god, my keyboard that I have at work, one of these clear Mac ones, when I first got hired I came in and it had a ton of crumbs and crap on the underside of it, on the inside! And the keys were incrusted with crumbs and dirt. People are freaking slobs! After several months I was able to clean most of it up, there are still some "rogue crumbs" inside that I can't get at.

Hehe.. you'd hate working on my keyboard.. besides haveing all sorts of crap in it from moustache hairs to crumbs.. I'm using a japanese version on an SGI keyboard where I had to take off the unneccesary keys because I kept hitting them by mistake. Fortunately I don't share this computer but if I did this would probably scare aware unwanted users..

http://gmask.com/odd/scarykeyboard.jpg

Don't worry though I do actually blow the crud out of it every once and awhile with canned air. If I were in the movie Gattacca they have me nailed in a second ;-)

trthing
08 August 2003, 09:18 PM

What about those guys that want to clarify something for you with a big marker PEN or PENCIL near your monitor/screen? I noticed that the bigger your monitor the more they feel tempted to treat it like a white board or something...:hmm:

trthing
08 August 2003, 09:25 PM
@gmask:
Awww, man... that's disgusting! What happens during the weekend: who is in charge of watering it? I bet you have to cut the grass on Mondays to reach your keys...;)

On a side note, I would be willing to hear more about the story of a Japanese keyboard: it is an old curiosity of mine, ya know...

Nikodemus
08 August 2003, 09:25 PM
uuuugh sooo ssoo many to list it isnt even funny

but one is.. not understanding that making screen resolution larger more shows up on the screen...

my parents ask me to do something on the internet and show them.. and you know at 640 x 480 NOTHING is ever on the screen 100% all that side/up/down scroll drives m mad... so im like why dont we make your resolution bigger...

*does it*

" why do you want to make everything so small? i cant see anything... huh? what happened to the picture we were looking at "

oh yeah they refuse to adjust there refresh rate.. omg the white screen flickering is about to give me a ceisure.. yo know that when ever you move you eyes its like the screen is bouncing all around
:annoyed:

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 09:33 PM
gmask - where did you get that keyboard from in the first place (plz not with the SGI mainframe, plz nooo)

gmask
08 August 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Rei Ayanami
gmask - where did you get that keyboard from in the first place (plz not with the SGI mainframe, plz nooo)

Actually I have an SGI that sits in the corner.. I finally wore out it's keyboard last year while using it on a PC. The SGI keyboard I have now was probably sold with one of their short lived PC systems. I got it on ebay for a dollar.

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 09:43 PM
got it on ebay for a dollar.

love that. ^_^

d4rk
08 August 2003, 10:10 PM
I never understand how someone can "wearout" a keyboard or mouse. This has never happened to me. Even though I use computers all day long for many many years now.

Reminds me of another thing though, when the person next to you is typing and they are pounding on the keys.

gmask
08 August 2003, 10:15 PM
>>>I never understand how someone can "wearout" a keyboard or mouse. This has never happened to me. Even though I use computers all day long for many many years now.

For some reason space bar on the old SGI keyboards had a relatively short life expectancy as I have encountered several that where messed up.

>>>Reminds me of another thing though, when the person next to you is typing and they are pounding on the keys.

My typing drives my girlfriend nuts and we don't even work in the same room.

zen
08 August 2003, 10:32 PM
my favs:

-When i nicely fix up and optimize someones machine and then they promply install AOL free demos they got in the mail.

-When people name their files: "mypic.psd....cool.psd....thisoneisgood.psd.....final.psd....final2.psd.....final2better.psd...." and then ask me "oh could you print out that pic for me, the final one.

-people who put EVERYTHING in "my documents" folder.

-people who dump files directly into c:\....

-People who have 50000 "temp" folders...

-People who install EVERY SINGLE 3rd-party or optional softwares during installation of progs.

-People who have every single agent, wizard and background app running in the systray.

-People who arent aware of *!image compression!* and send 5meg pics to my mail account.

og_reborn
08 August 2003, 10:48 PM

definitely the touching screen thing... definitely. people at work do that EVERY DAY.

kex
08 August 2003, 11:52 PM
ppl who over use words like "download"

"u gonna download those pictures to your computer"

"il get my guy to download an email to you"

The blame game
when something goes wrong its not the programmers fault neither the hardware manufactors fault but your fault

edit/ps: intranet & internet getting continusaley confused

???
08 August 2003, 12:05 AM
I just hate when peoples come to see my desktop, and listen to my mp3's.. some say that my musics sucks and i get :twisted:

gmask
08 August 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ???
I just hate when peoples come to see my desktop, and listen to my mp3's.. some say that my musics sucks and i get :twisted:

People come to see your desktop?? You must live in a dorm as I used to have people come by to see my dormroom.. we didn't have computers in the dorms back then.. and most people probably thought my music tastes sucks as well.

???
08 August 2003, 12:13 AM
I remmember my cousing brought is bug at my house and suddently the bug scaped from the container and got inside of my PC and i got to open every single hardware to find it... and finaly i found it and accidently kill it. Hey it wasn't my fault :shrug:

gmask
08 August 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ???
I remmember my cousing brought is bug at my house and suddently the bug scaped from the container and got inside of my PC and i got to open every single hardware to find it... and finaly i found it and accidently kill it. Hey it wasn't my fault :shrug:

Okay maybe not exactly on topic but.. A friend of mine came home one day and his computer wouldn't boot. He opened it up and there was mouse droppings and pee ont he mother board. After he cleaned it up the computer bootd but he had to block all the holes in the computer so that the mouse couldn't get back in there.

???
08 August 2003, 12:21 AM
Okay maybe not exactly on topic but.. A friend of mine came home one day and his computer wouldn't boot. He opened it up and there was mouse droppings and pee ont he mother board. After he cleaned it up the computer bootd but he had to block all the holes in the computer so that the mouse couldn't get back in there.

Dammmmn... that's terrible

UrbanFuturistic
08 August 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by d4rk
I never understand how someone can "wearout" a keyboard or mouse.Cheap components with users who pound the keyboard. I went through one keyboard a year at one place I worked whereas I've had this one for about 5 years :D

On the subject of downloads. I really hate people who use computing terms in inappropriate ways.

"You need your brain to download the data"

Huh? What's wrong with 'absorb' and 'information'?!?

...and on the subject, supposedly intelligent people who are somehow unable to follow the most basic of instructions (I'm handling student accomodation applications until I start back at Uni).

regards, Paul

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 12:28 AM
I hate people getting Upload and Downoald the wrong way round. I hate the fact that not only are they getting them the wrong way round, they shouldnt really be using the word anyway, english is still an accepted language you know? (american isnt jk!)

DePingus
08 August 2003, 12:42 AM
:cry:
This thread sounds like the story of my life. Im the tech guy in a middle school. 700+ machines, 100+ ignorant users (not including 2000+ kids).

Here's one I hate: Comet Cursor!
:cry:

Goatfuzz
08 August 2003, 01:23 AM
I absolutely hate when people go overboard with their digital cameras. Both my dad and sister save every single damn picture they take, even if it is complete crap. I wouldn't mind if they burned them onto one of the some 200 blank disks they never use! Then of course they have to make screensavers and backgrounds out of the worst pictures they took (blur quality, pointless objects, etc.; I can only stand the pictures my dad takes since he knows what makes a good picture). Unfortunately it's always my sister who saves horrible pictures constantly (never reducing the file size) and she always prints them (such a waste of paper and ink). :annoyed:

Chewey
08 August 2003, 02:00 AM
Gunky, dirty, dusty mouse balls and the mouse unit insides and the people that never clean them but somehow can live with them being filthy and jerky when used.:annoyed:

ambient-whisper
08 August 2003, 02:22 AM
i get annoyed with people having just overall cheap hardware.
cheap 15" $200 monitor( max res 1024x768@65hz ) but the person has the best videocard he can afford.. ( and complains that his eyes hurt.. ) ( actually hes got a 19" now. but its also very very cheap. and can only go up to like 1152x864 @70. if you go up higher it starts to flicker. and the corners mess up..

no scroller on the mouse ticks me off too :) its great to have in 3d apps that utilize them properly.

or somehow, magically, i know a few people that know how to get onto your machine and put it through hell ( ie, install crap like gator, some completely useless bars for IE, etc. ) in under 5 minutes. that sometimes takes me an hour + to get rid of all the shit they install.

and their answer is... "the computer asked me to install it.."

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 02:31 AM
I really want to ban some people from ever using PC's. Like everyone people in this thread have mentioned etc.

LEEBLEEB
08 August 2003, 03:22 AM
I hate it when i see my brother or his retarded friends trying to use my wacom instead of the mouse and seem to think that dbl click thrusts of the pen into the pad will not break the pen.:argh:

Mondo
08 August 2003, 03:37 AM
I dont get this.

I hate when people come over..... say they're picking you up to go out to the bar or for dinner or something and they ask to use your computer cause they need to check their "hotmail". I dont get what's so important that they have to check their email immedately. I mean come on! Is an important email really going to come since they left their house and got to mine??? Is that chain letter/ Viagra SPAM so damn important that they cant wait a few hours to check it.

Tex3D
08 August 2003, 05:57 AM
I had a chick come over to my house at like 2:00 AM so I'm thinking booty call right!?

So I go to fix us a "drink"....

I come back and this chica is on an instant messaging session with some d00d on a dating site!!!

Then when I blow a gasket she tells the d00d "My friend is freaking out over here cuz I wont spend quality time with him...I'll chat with you later." !!:eek:

CAN YOU FRIKKIN BELIEVE THAT!!! I threw her ass OUT with a quickness!!!:annoyed:

I shit you not!!

-Dave

Never took her calls again.. Thank God for caller I.D.

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 06:04 AM
speaking of wearing out mice and such:

My mouse has served me faithfully for more than a year. It is so worn though. from all the rubbing against my knee, the label on the bottom that was once blue has lost all its ink, and the once textured plastice on the bottom is now smooth and shiny. The rubber padding for the thumb area gets a lot of wear from my thumb. I sometimes just sort of knead it with my thumb. Last week the adhesice finally quit on me. upon closer inspection i discovered that right where my thumb usually sits the rubber was awefull thin...:surprised

trthing
08 August 2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Tex3D

Then when I blow a gasket she tells the d00d "My friend is freaking out over here cuz I wont spend quality time with him...I'll chat with you later." !!:eek:

Aghh! Someone shoot me!

:banghead:

BiTMAP
08 August 2003, 06:38 AM
my mouse died oneday... lol well actualy over 3 days. So i got a NICe new one from logitec and i know it will last me quite a while.

but my hands may not lol :S

Ibox
08 August 2003, 06:46 AM
Waste of energy and potential:

phony people who discredit others all in the name of attempting to gain credit for themselves...

markbones
08 August 2003, 07:03 AM
I suppose a lot of people here share household computers, or computers at work, but I am quite amazed at how many people LET OTHER PEOPLE USE THEIR COMPUTERS! DOH! If anyone uses my computer, they tell me what they need it for, I open the application I close the application, I usher them away from my computer. If it's web surfing for something specific, I do the driving.

I :love: my computer, and nobody messes with it. There are a few select people who are allowed to use it without supervision :D

kex
08 August 2003, 11:42 AM
u know its kinda on topic but some phreaking pop idol nock off has actually got download it as the name off thier song and its in the uk charts

now that song is just wrong

Limbus
08 August 2003, 12:42 PM
I hate it when people use one finger for all thre buttons like tehy are unable to move every finger on its own. And then they mix up right and left mousebutton all the time. I finally came to the conclusion that one button apple mice where invented for such people.

Flo

Stimpy
08 August 2003, 01:54 PM
- moving or resizing (...) windows to switch to other applications. even after using a pc for more than 5 years or so a friend of mine STILL isnt used to the taskbar for switching apps.

- screwed up connections. that is .avi files will open in real player and or winamp (!!) or not at all.

- how to move files: select files.... right click..... select "cut"... go to the desktop [see 'moving or resizing'].... click on "my computer".... browse to the folder.... right click.... select "paste"

and yeah, all the other usual crap. having 2 gig of files in the trashcan, quick start thingy contains about 25 items, start menu takes up half the screen cause of all the installed apps, spybot finding about 140 things to fix, etc.

Icarus
08 August 2003, 02:05 PM
Ahh..This one i really HATE

I Use my Personal Computer for my Personal Bussiness, Like any one else.

But sometimes, usually on a weekly basis, a family member or friend will get onto the box, when im out of the room, and i really dont have a problem wiht that, aslong as they dont go through my stuff, etc..

But... On the Offchance..

When im away from the box for an extended period of time, people will change stuff... Clean up the desktop, etc, Change Resolutions, fonts, colors etc, This just really sh*ts me..

well ive had my little say :)

TyR-

dmeyer
08 August 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Tyrinid
Ahh..This one i really HATE

When im away from the box for an extended period of time, people will change stuff... Clean up the desktop, etc, Change Resolutions, fonts, colors etc, This just really sh*ts me..

Make a guest user account for this very reason. :)

I unfortunately assume Admin responsibilites for every one in my immediate families and their respective store-bought p.o.s. machines. I've set it up so they don't even have admin access on their own boxes so it's not too bad actually.

Joril
08 August 2003, 04:39 PM
BIG icons everywhere!!!
Of course we can never have as little deskspace as possible.

And Files not show as "details" in explorer. Instead of LARGE ICONS.
Let's have as little info on files as possible.
Hiding know extensions. ARGH.

The aggrevation!!!

???
08 August 2003, 05:15 PM
i just hate low quality graphics... especialy very old video games with nasty graphics...

some of my friends love to play with it. i dont.. but i get frustrated and sad when i see ugly graphics. :annoyed:

stupid ugly background on it.... mess up with the resolution and graphics...:annoyed: unusual files and pictures everywere ...

JennDowns
08 August 2003, 06:55 PM
1. People who are afraid of the computer, especially the mouse even though they use one everyday! You know these people by sight as they always slowly sneak up on a desktop icon and proceed to click once, nothing happens, then make a frustrated whiney sound and start clicking like mad in a slow succession of hard clicks.

2. People who cannot grasp the difference between memory and hard drive space. No matter how many times you explain it to them.

3. People who beg you to help them with their computer problem over the phone but who can't follow even the simplest direction. Usually people who cannot grasp the concept of 1 click, double click, 1 click right mouse button manuevers. Also included here are the people with spastic mouse button fingers:

me: Okay right click your ie explorer icon and go to properties.....

friend: there is no properties option.

me: that's weird, what do you see?

friend then proceeds to read their internet homepage to you from top to bottom.

(how did this happen...either spastic double left click of the icon, or this person was so freaked that he was asked to use the right mouse button that he instantly clicked the left button as soon as the little window opened and thus choosing to open the program.)

This same person just recently got hit with msblaster and so you can imagine what happened to my entire day;) the bonus is he was thoughtful enough to drop off a case of beer in thanks for my help a few days later.

ntmonkey
08 August 2003, 07:17 PM
Here's a few:

My old roommate, back home at the University of Ga, would wake my ass up around 3 am asking to use my computer. I'm a nice guy, so I told him at the beginning of our freshman year, he could use it. Big mistake. However, time after time again he would procrastinate on a term paper or something, and it required him to type the paper in the middle of the night, ON MY COMPUTER, IN MY ROOM! Loud typing really bugs me. And then he would not do his paper, install some stupid file exchange proggy, and start downloading mp3s! And then he'd print it out on my loud-ass printer. All of this before 7 am when he goes to class. ARGH, I hate inconsiderate ppl. They need to be shot!

Also, my girlfriend works normal people hours whilst I work normal CG people hours. So I decided to buy a quite, soft-touchy, keyboard so that I wouldn't wake her up when I'm typing. Cause loud typing really bugs me. Then she uses my soft and quiet keyboard, and it sounds like a freaking jackhammer! I'm like WTF? Its supposed to be quiet. And here she is, hammering away happily as can be.

And my fav:

I love ppl that buy new computers from Dell, Gateway, Wal-Mart, etc. And then say: "I've paid good money for this and why is it so damn slow" I just shake my head and uninstall all the crap-ware that's on their computer and they're amazed, until something goes wrong and they reach for that installation disc that came with the computer......... argh........

enough ranting,

Lu

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 07:23 PM
here's one reason not to let other people even NEAR your computer. a couple friends of mine were over at my dorm, and one of them sits down in my shair, i went to the bathroom and as soon as I got back I saw she was IMing people from my computer...and I'm like "dammit! I don't ever talk to those people! they're just on my buddy list in case I need them for something!" People just don't understand my buddy list scheme...it's really a shame

Boone
08 August 2003, 07:31 PM
After 6 hours of teaching myslef Maya, Programming or whatever, I like to have an hour of playing a nice game...then my Dad gets in from work at 11pm...

Me : "Hi Dad!"

Dad : "That computer is for you to learn on - not for playing games!":mad:

Me : "What?!? I've just spent the last 6-f***ing hours programming...":eek:

Dad : "Well, less of the games - don't talk about it, DO it..."

Me : "Gasp! Ack! Wha?":banghead:

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 07:41 PM
I feel with you Boone.

Me using Lightwave
Folks - stop playing games and do something worthwhile with your life (im gettin this alot at the mo).
me - Im not just screwing around im trying to improve so i can get a dang job.
folks - no your not, you just wasteing your time, go and do something productive
folks leave
Me starts screaming and tearing hair out! :annoyed:

That and my folks do everything that has been mentioned allready

Boone
08 August 2003, 07:56 PM
Re: Rei Ayanmi.

Here's a follow-up...

Mum: "When are you going to get a decent job? You're wasting your time at that bloody super-market when you could be in a nice office job..."

Me: "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I've already told you - I'm using the time to learn programming and Maya to get a f***ing job!!!"

Dad: "Don't you swear at your mother!"

Me: "Sorry"

Mum: "And what will you do if you don't get the job you want? What if computers are suddenly phased out?"

Me: "Computers aren't going to be phased out!"

Mum & Dad: "You've always got to be right - you think you know it all. You can't be told wrong..."

Me: "God...please give me strength...":banghead:

iBlue
08 August 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Tex3D
This computer is a piece of shit!! Even though it is 10 times better than mine AND newer:annoyed:

god.. my girlfriend bitches about her new computer the exact same way!.. its all messed up because she installs anything that promps her on internet explorer and then she has the audacity to complain about the ciomputer being slow and all... even though its as good as the one i have at work! :annoyed:

JennDowns
08 August 2003, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you should just find yourself a room mate and move out.

Rei Ayanami
08 August 2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Boone

Me: "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I've already told you - I'm using the time to learn Lightwave to get a f***ing job!!!"

Dad: "Don't you swear at your mother!"

Me: "Sorry"

Mum: "And what will you do if you don't get the job you want? What if computers are suddenly phased out?"

Me: "Computers aren't going to be phased out!"

Mum & Dad: "You've always got to be right - you think you know it all. You can't be told wrong..."

Me: "God...please give me strength...":banghead:

That is exactly, almost to the same words, as my folks.

JennDowns, I cant A- afford, B-legaly do it yet. tho im leavin the country in about a years time (not that my folks would think i could)

Boone
08 August 2003, 08:11 PM
Re: Rei Ayanmi.

I'll jump off a bridge and end it all if computers are phased out...:banghead:

Re: JennDown.

First chance I get - I'm outta there!:scream:

gmask
08 August 2003, 09:03 PM
Uh.. okay.. is there anybody else here who doesn't live with their parents ;-)

Stimpy
08 August 2003, 09:10 PM
or in a dorm ;)

ppself
08 August 2003, 09:14 PM
Valkyrien there is a program for macs called Vic i beleive, it will play divx and xvid files on the mac ,you can get it at downloads.com. i used to have the problem of my girlfriend using my box for the internet and watching movies so thats why i got that program and a router for the internet. i wouldnt want anybody touching my computer at all because i have so much money invested in the hardware.

ntmonkey
08 August 2003, 09:19 PM
I don't live in a dorm or with my parents. However, I do think about living with my folks sometimes. It'd be a lot cheaper to live and they're retired, so its not like they're stressed out to bitch at me. And then again, I like having my own apartment. I just don't like paying for it. :D

peace,

Lu

???
08 August 2003, 09:21 PM

is there anybody else here who as parental secure instaled in there PC's ?

gmask
08 August 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ???
is there anybody else here who as parental secure instaled in there PC's ?

The main problem I have is that my back is to the non existant door of my home office.. and my girlfriend sneaks up on my and scares the living hell out of me. So what I do is litter the ground in front of my office with spare computer parts and boxes so that you can't easily walk right up to my office without hurting yourself or making noise.

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 10:26 PM

yeah, for like 8-9 months out of the year;)

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ppself
Valkyrien there is a program for macs called Vic i beleive, it will play divx and xvid files on the mac ,you can get it at downloads.com. i used to have the problem of my girlfriend using my box for the internet and watching movies so thats why i got that program and a router for the internet. i wouldnt want anybody touching my computer at all because i have so much money invested in the hardware.

really...cool! thanks for the heads-up:)

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Stimpy
quick start thingy contains about 25 items, start menu takes up half the screen cause of all the installed apps

i have 36 items in quickstart, and my installed apps used to take up 3 columns in 1280x960:)

gmask
08 August 2003, 10:56 PM
yeah, for like 8-9 months out of the year;)

Yeah.. I got tired of moving back and forth from the midwest to the east coast after a few yars and somehow managed to make a living and stay out of the house. Glad I did too..

JB
08 August 2003, 11:01 PM
I just can't stand the system tray that is filled with about 500 icons and it takes the computer about 10mins to boot up :surprised

Bluplet
08 August 2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Rei Ayanami
me - Im not just screwing around im trying to improve so i can get a dang job.

I got into the following situation...

Mum: When are you going to get a job?
Myself working feverishly on a TVC as a freelancer: :surprised

Valkyrien
08 August 2003, 04:21 AM
Yeah.. I got tired of moving back and forth from the midwest to the east coast after a few yars and somehow managed to make a living and stay out of the house. Glad I did too..

In order to swing moving out, I'd need to make a lot more money. Either that or I'd have to learn how not to compulsively spend it all on random stuff;)

LEEBLEEB
08 August 2003, 07:32 AM
I hate when my brother just does things to be annoying like take up 2 gig with shortcut to recycle bin, copy of shortcut to bin ,cop of copy of shortcut to bin, copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of copy of shortcut to recycle bin.:argh: :argh: :argh:

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.