View Full Version : urgent modeling help needed!!!

WChestnutt
08 August 2003, 05:23 PM
hey,

so here's my prob...
say i have a large polygon, and in the middle of this polygon i need to make an cut in the shape of a disc. now this could be done by making many knife cuts but it would dbe inaccurate, and time consuming. so what other ways are there to do it?

i ihave heard that you can sort'a project a disc onto the polygon to create a disc shaped cut, but i have no idea how.
hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Will

Roger Eberhart
08 August 2003, 05:34 PM
Use the drill tool under multiply, combine.

WChestnutt
08 August 2003, 05:50 PM
thanks, but...
i cant seem to get it to work properly, what settings for the drill should i be on? should i have the disc in the background of the polygon?

Cheers,

Will

Roger Eberhart
08 August 2003, 06:04 PM
The discs should be in the background. The polygon in the foreground. I generally use the stencil option, but depending on what effect you're going for you may want to use the other options. It's all in the manual.

Facial Deluxe
08 August 2003, 06:05 PM
Polygon to be drilled in foreground, shape of the hole in background (visible layer only (you know the black wire stuff))

Multiply/Drill ----> select your drilling axis ....et voilą

WChestnutt
08 August 2003, 06:22 PM
ah, so it only works properly on 3 or 4 sided polys, and more and it gives weird results.

Thanks for your help guys :thumbsup:

Roger Eberhart
08 August 2003, 07:41 PM
It works fine with n-siders for me. I just tried stencilling into a 24 sided disc using several smaller discs (also 24 sided). It handled it with no problem.

What kind of weird results are you getting?

WChestnutt
08 August 2003, 07:45 PM
try rotating your large disc by 45 degrees or so, and then stencilling a small disc onto that. it goes totally weird.

Zarathustra
08 August 2003, 08:29 PM
The object doing the drilling, stenciling, etc must intersect the face of the polygon(s) you want drilled.

If you want to drill a circle through a plane, make a cylinder that intersects the box and have it in the backround layer, then drill, stencil, etc.

Roger Eberhart
08 August 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
The object doing the drilling, stenciling, etc must intersect the face of the polygon(s) you want drilled.

If you want to drill a circle through a plane, make a cylinder that intersects the box and have it in the backround layer, then drill, stencil, etc.

That's only true of solid drill. Using regular drill the object doesn't have to intersect.

Roger Eberhart
08 August 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by unknown limit
try rotating your large disc by 45 degrees or so, and then stencilling a small disc onto that. it goes totally weird.

I tried this. It still works fine. The discs being stenciled will be slightly elongated, because they are projecting straight along an axis and the object they are projecting on to is tilted. The polygon would have to be facingn directly along an axis if you didn't want any distortion to occur.

WChestnutt
08 August 2003, 09:51 PM
oh. well thanks for the help!:thumbsup:
you learn something new every day!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.