View Full Version : Who are your LW heroes?

RobertoOrtiz
08 August 2003, 02:25 PM
Show us LW artists you admire!

-R

TheFreak
08 August 2003, 02:29 PM
I admire you all cause i suck :)

ta

modernhorse
08 August 2003, 02:53 PM
Jarrod Pudsey .... A Sydney area LW'er.
He's a pal and my guru. See some of his work here ....

http://www.atomichouse.net

Jonathan
08 August 2003, 04:00 PM
My lightwave hero is Strike!!!! Not for his artistic ability, but for his boldness! :scream:

Para
08 August 2003, 04:08 PM
I admire everyone who is more skilled than I am.

Dreamwave
08 August 2003, 04:45 PM
unfortunatly that counts for me too, almost everyone here is more skilled than I am.

But like said before, Strike's work is always great and inspiring.

And of course Leigh's work, but that's mostly because of her awsome texturing skills

surferjoe
08 August 2003, 04:56 PM
The top ten I can think of (you can debate the order)
1. Ron Thorton -the Foundation of a lot of peoples' carreers.
2. John Gross- From Seaquest through Star Trek, a LW muse.
3. Michael Sherak - Interplaying the game industry to LW
4. Taron - The reigning King of Metanurbs
5. Robert Baldwin - Nick D's cel man and starship trooper
6. Tim Wilcox - Previsionary for lots of movies
7. Andrew Harlow - Dune's townmaker and modeler
8. Edwin Emile Smith - Zoic lead and foundation big shot maker
9. John Davis - DNA Studios visionary deserved that Oscar nod
10. Susan Ishida - Reigning Queen of Metanurbs.

YMMV, of course. I'm just a bit prejudiced about number 10, being my wife. Still, we needed some feminine representation in a male dominated industry.

:applause:

daviddrbal
08 August 2003, 05:04 PM
LW heroes....??? Well, I think the right LW heroes are guys who made LW as it is. :shame: Without them, you couldn't see any LW subheroes here, or somewhere around.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Nemoid
08 August 2003, 07:24 PM
Taron, Tajino, Graham McKenna, Dan Maas.

nostromo_va
08 August 2003, 07:29 PM
In no particular order:

Terrence Walker - for giving me the inspiration to try to create anime on my own.

Larry "Splinegod" Shultz - for showing me a zillion things on the NewTek tour - but mostly for showing me a great modified box-modeling method for my organic modeling. My workflow went up 300% since I watched someone who knew what they were doing.

Lee Stranahan for being the down-to-earth guy he is about the features in LW. He also listens to us while conducting the LW tour and gives feedback to Newtek.

William "Proton" Vaughn - for his contributions and "evangelising" - it matters a lot to have Proton around. Let Newtek know that, somebody!

All the people using LW in a production environment.

Anyone who has ever created an on-line LW tutorial - I really thank you!

The past & present programmers at Newtek - from what I saw of the on-line Siggraph sessions, LW is only going to get much better.

My wife - for having the understanding to be a "Lightwave Widow" and allow me to pursue my passion, while I hold down a day job.

leigh
08 August 2003, 07:44 PM
In no particular order: Strike (despite the Poser "scandal", the guy still makes awesome stuff); Proton (what a cool guy), Taron (don't know him personally, but his work is absolutely amazing); Steve Worley (ok, he's not an artist as such, but his plugins totally and utterly kick ass); Emanuele Salvucci and then a bunch of other people from this very forum - Policarpo Wood, Tim Albee, Nick Boughen... actually, this list could go on and on...

LNT
08 August 2003, 07:49 PM
there are no more heroes...this topic is out of date :)

sensai2nd
08 August 2003, 08:01 PM
Perhaps "hero" is too strong a word for me, but here's a list of some peeps that inspired, motivated and encouraged me in some form or another:

Remi, Kretin, Xtrm3d - incredible character work that makes me just want to keep on working

Proton - he's da' man, 'nuff said.

Splinegod- a veritable cornucopia of LW knowledge

The community- for being the coolest one out there!!!!

Peace & Pixels.

JVitale
08 August 2003, 08:19 PM
My buddies Dave Jerrard and Jen Hachigian.

Andrew Harlow---Just saw his demo reel and I was speechless.

Dariusz Zwierzynsky and Dmitry Savinoff

Splinegod

Tim Pyle---Another buddy of mine who animated the creature in Children of Dune....

ursa
08 August 2003, 08:29 PM
what?
nobody metioned Dan Ablan who has been so influential through his numerous Inside Lightwave tomes.

Memodin
08 August 2003, 08:45 PM
All of these guys are very good but i love Kursad Karatas most(www.plecxus.com). And number 2 Tajino, 3 is Taron.

Miyazaki
08 August 2003, 08:59 PM
Too much to list em all but first of all plugin programmers and scripters. The 'silent' heroes. They do a lot for the community but don`t get that much attention. David Ikeda,Worley,d-storm guys, the list is long...

CourtJester
08 August 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by nostromo_va
In no particular order:

Terrence Walker - for giving me the inspiration to try to create anime on my own.

Ditto that. The thing I admire the most about his work is that he had the cojones to go for it in the indie market, on his own capital. Though anime is not my medium, his success would bea very good sign for the rest of us who harbor ideas of creating, marketing and distributing our own content.

I'd add Kevin "Q" Quattro and PJ Foley, former colleagues at Westwood. Both former Foundation guys. Q was nominated for an FX Emmy on the Buffy finale last month, and PJ was director on at least one of the "Roughnecks" episodes before he joined us at Westwood. Both are now at ZOIC.

Chuck Carter. Kickass concept artist and modeler, one of the four guys who did the first "Myst" game, and much of the level work on the cancelled "Renegade 2" game.

Todd Widup, last but not least; great reference source, moral support, and now kicking some a$$ down under at WETA.

Not to knock any of the others named, but I've worked with all of these guys here, and owe much to them in terms of experience and knowledge.

Chagidiel
08 August 2003, 10:54 PM
There are alot of the of course... but I must give another hand for
Kursad Karatas/Plecxus :applause:
Still haven´t seen anything quite like his monstrous art

surferjoe
08 August 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by CourtJester
Originally posted by nostromo_va
In no particular order:

Ditto that. The thing I admire the most about his work is that he had the cojones to go for it in the indie market,

I whole heartedly agree. We followed in his footsteps making our little Wonderlens project come to life. I do hope the Indie market spreads a wealth of opportunity to those artists who seek to be their own production company. To help you along we have some behind the scenes stuff at:

http://www.wonderlens.com/behindthescenes.htm

and out Tech TV interview has a timeline to help you get started:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3462112,00.html

gruvsyco
08 August 2003, 12:55 AM
Remi and Proton.

Before Remi came along, I could not model a head to save my life. Proton, on the siggraph videos, gave an example of box modeling a body using bevels. Those 2 freakin rock beyond all others in my opinion mainly because they showed me how to model in a style that I feel comfortable with.

wok
08 August 2003, 08:19 AM
Wow there are heaps of unreal Lightwave users out there!!! But i have to say that i'm a huge fan of.....

Kretin
Mike_RB
Fellah
Todd Grimes
Proton
Larry
Taron

bearfoot
08 August 2003, 08:47 AM
just gotta mention

christophe desse and dan ablan and ME !!!:buttrock:

New
08 August 2003, 11:52 AM
Taron
Aristomenis Tsirbas
Todd Grimes
Lukasz Pazera

And all of you.

:*

samartin
08 August 2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by wok
Wow there are heaps of unreal Lightwave users out there!!! But i have to say that i'm a huge fan of.....

Kretin
Mike_RB
Fellah
Todd Grimes
Proton
Larry
Taron

I have to 2nd that with the exception of a controversial Taron exclusion, reason being is that his site had not had any new work for a long long time but it does seem it's undergoing change :thumbsup:

I think Kretin is the top of my list tho', such a fresh style, really clean and he is what seems to be his own production house...

xtrm3d
08 August 2003, 12:57 PM
policarpo wood,
proton,
dan alban..
lukas pazera , pawel olas, ...

and every other one who contribute to make the lw comunity to what we are now..

but sadely i still loosed one of my hero .. these last day.....
i am sure you heard about it.. :-(

anieves
08 August 2003, 03:20 PM
I truly admire the work of:

Kretin
Mike_RB
Proton

Kretin and Mike_RB in particular don't cease to amaze me with their incredible expression, rigging and UV map skills… truly inspiring.

Proton has done so much for the community… extremely incredible work.

CB_3D
08 August 2003, 08:15 PM
Inspiration and motivation:Terrence Walker.

Contribution and dedication: William Vaughn

markjtaylor
08 August 2003, 10:01 PM
In no particular order..

:: William 'Proton' Vaughn
Awesome contributor, fantastic modelling skill and style. Inspiring to say the least

:: Christophe Desse (xtrm3d)
Wonderfull Style, Amazing characterization, and a great friend.

:: Kretin
Awesome character work. Never fails to put a kick of personality into his creations. Tie me kangaroo down... sport!

:: Dan Ablan
Not only one of the most talented guys out there, but also an absolute pleasure to work with

:: Timothy Albee
So very very talented on all patforms. Timothy Albee made learning animation an incredible experience

:: Leigh van der Byl
Although I've never personally had the pleasure of working, or speaking with her. It's no hidden fact that her texture skills and willingness to teach and share are a head above the rest

:: Larry 'Splinegod' Shultz
Simple. I wouldn't be writing this message where I am today without this mentor.

Ok I'm done. Thanks guys/gals.

Remi
08 August 2003, 10:43 PM
I think anyone trying to improve in the community using lightwave and all of the contributors to lightwave.

But the real heros are the people at NewTek.....I take my hat off to all of them. Much respect, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my art with one of the greatest programs. Thanks:)

WilliamVaughan
08 August 2003, 12:39 AM
My list would be too long....there are so many bad a$$ LW artists out there and I get excited everytime I see awesome LW stuff!

SplineGod
08 August 2003, 07:00 AM
Nostromo, Sensai, Jessica, Wok, Samartin and Mark
I VERY much appreciate the comments. :)

NickDW
08 August 2003, 07:56 AM
I would have to say Leigh van der Byl if it were just a LW artist, but she deffinately rates in my top 10 because I think her texture work is amazing.
She's also an outstanding modeler from the looks of her work, but her textureing is what I can't get over.

Here's the LInk to the site :

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/index.htm

rickycox
08 August 2003, 10:40 AM
Not LW (from memory??) But I like this guys work http://www.psychoform.com/

samartin
08 August 2003, 03:57 PM
Just had a quick look at metagons and saw :-

Peter Syomka <- not sure if he is an LW artist, if not then edit is required but then I thought of

Silmarillion

These guys are just modelling gods !!!

adrencg
08 August 2003, 05:34 PM
Bruce Willis rocks!!!

mike

Susan Ishida is great also

Insider
08 August 2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the props guys!

While this may sound corny, I think all of your work makes you heros. The questions and ideas you have inspire the rest of us to create even more. When you're working in LightWave for 12 years, it's easy to not be excited about work - seeing what you guys have been posting gets the wheels in motion day after day.

Keep up the good work!

Dan

Chewey
08 August 2003, 11:05 PM
Taron, Ablan, and our own Mike_RB.

Insider
08 August 2003, 11:25 PM
Wow! In the ranks with Taron? I don't think so, but thanks - I'm glad you're delusional!

Maybe someday!

Dan

Chewey
08 August 2003, 11:43 PM
hehe, sorry Dan but you're not in my list of LW good guys for your artistic skills you silly nit. :p

Flashfire
08 August 2003, 11:45 PM
Long list... started with Ron Thornton and Mojo back in the day when our dongle was a VT.

Dave Jerrard, Jose Perez, Randy Sharp, and many more from the old FI club.

Kevin 'Q' Quattro did some really inspiring stuff many years back that I just had to mimic.

And I must say, that I am really inspired lately by Tim Albee, especially since he placed the trailer for Kaze online... it is amazing what one man can do...

panta
08 August 2003, 09:41 PM
this forum is awesome!

even Dan Ablan speaking here?!?!

hey Dan, i've studied on a couple of your books (who didn't? :p) and they are wonderful!

thanks Dan! (you too must thank me for $... MUHAHAHHAHA)

no, really thanks

[cheer me and I will consider it an authograph!] :applause: :thumbsup: :wavey:

wok
08 August 2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by riki
Not LW (from memory??) But I like this guys work http://www.psychoform.com/

Awsome site riki!!!!Heaps of great artwork!! Just checked out the Experience section and it mentions LW while he was working on Matrix Reloaded!!

Insider
08 August 2003, 05:10 AM
thanks Dan! (you too must thank me for $... MUHAHAHHAHA)

Hey, thanks a lot! The Italian versions of the books are popular I guess?

But it's funny, people buy a book and think that I actually get that entire $40 - not quite. Let's see, you bought two books - so that's about 3 or 4 starbucks visits!! That keeps me up to keep writing.

Look for more soon!

kevman3d
08 August 2003, 06:18 AM
Most importantly - My Wife - For suffering my obsession with LightWave and 3D for so many years and not complaining about it! :D

Everybody that ever worked for Foundation Imaging, NewTek and all the cool users who form the best kick ass community ever! :)

...Of course, I would have also voted 'ME' for running the local NZ LWUG for over 5 years (and STILL doing it monthly), and the HUGE amount of personal time, effort, expense and dedication that has gone into keeping it going for so long, and sharing a LOT of hard earnt knowledge with people for free... And not complaining about it (much)...

...But I'm WAY too modest to do that...

...Obviously! :p

Nemoid
08 August 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by samartin
I have to 2nd that with the exception of a controversial Taron exclusion, reason being is that his site had not had any new work for a long long time but it does seem it's undergoing change :thumbsup:

Yap its true!! I'd like to see new Taron's images ! :drool:
hope he will have some time to update his website, and I also would like to see some great personal project.
however I think that in Computer Cafe works his presence its many times noticeable.
what I like of his work is not only the huge quality, wich I see in many Lw artists as well, but the astonishing speedness he does his work I saw him modelling, he made a complete detaled head in about 12 mins.
and really he seemed to draw with subpatches and poligons.

for this reason, he's at the top of my list!!

panta
08 August 2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Dan your books here in Italy are the Holy Bible of Lightwave (all your books have been translated i think)

..and about dollars I was just joking... I know what are the problematics about publishing/publishers

However maximum respect! :wavey:

Insider
08 August 2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks Panta!

LightWave Guida Completa was the first translation I think.
We're now invading France with the Digital Cinematography book.

But, I like the Italian ones better -
after all, my Grandmother was from Naples!!

markjtaylor
08 August 2003, 06:11 PM
I want an italian Grandmother :D Italian food rocks, especially when its Grandama cooking :buttrock:

Mgfx
08 August 2003, 06:30 PM
there's so many great artists that I admire.. but if I should mention one name it'd be Dave Jerrard :)

vj2012fx
08 August 2003, 09:42 PM
Lee Stranahan " he came over from the states for us at premier vision "now darkside animation" an old company i used to work for and showed us lightwave 3.5 years ago, from that moment i knew that 3d was my thing even though at the time i understood very little about 3d as i had only had lightwave for 4 weeks
Ron at foundation for those great videos he made years ogo on how to use lightwave "bab5!!", it was a great part of the way i use modeler to this day to build my models
Andy Bishop for giving me a job with him and getting me into 3d many years ago with tons of other people in the uk, he now runs darkside animation and is in the interviews setion of the newtek europe site.
Mojo for all the great stuff he has done over the years, i used to love his lightwave pro mag bites
Alan marks at the magic camera company
Allen hastings for all the work he has put in over the years!!!
Brad Peebler at newtek now of luxology
And many many more
Thanks guys you are all stars!!!

:buttrock:

InvaderZim
09 September 2003, 05:37 PM
My heroes are Dick Van Dyke and Hanzhi Tang.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.