View Full Version : What the f**k is wrong with thi MR renderer (crazy RAM usage in batch)? :(

11 November 2009, 11:04 AM
Once again i`m on the verge of insanity because of this peace of s**t! Sorry for the language, guys, but i just cant hold my self any longer - rendering with MR is just like a constant fight with wind mills and its driving me crazy....
So the problem is as follows: i have 20 000 particles and a instancer (a polygon mesh), overall of 100 000 000 polys. The rendering takes 34sec and a memory footprint of about 2GB, when i render in maya`s render view. Tried to instance a cube with atached render proxy and to instance the mesh directly - there was no difference, same render time and memory usage.
The problem occurs when i try to batch render the scene - the second i start it, the memory usage goes trough the roof... with no reasonable explanation for me! How can Maya render this with no difficulties what so ever, but batch cant? Any tips will be highly appreciated... I`m really going crazy!
The specs are: Maya 2010, Quad6600, 8GB of RAM
I have attached a print screen from Maya render view.

11 November 2009, 11:50 AM
I think i caught the b****rd... When rendering in Maya`s render view i`m getting this log:

RCI 0.3 info : using rasterizer for eye rays
RCI 0.3 info : using BSP2 for secondary rays

But when rendering trough mayabatch.exe from command line or started from maya UI, i`m gettin this:

RCI 0.3 info : using scanline for eye rays
RCI 0.3 info : using BSP2 for secondary rays

and this causes the insane RAM usage!
Now the question is - how to force mayabatch to use rasterizer/raytrace? Couldn`t find appropriate command no where in the docs.

11 November 2009, 01:52 PM
have you tried saving the scene with the appropriate settings already checked (ie rasterizer, raytracing, etc) and then ran batch using that scene? Some settings don't need to be coded in the batch command.

11 November 2009, 02:28 PM
I ran quite a few tests and whatever i do mayabatch reverts to the scanline algorithm. I was able to cheat it some how, by editing the .ma file, replacing everywhere the string ".scan" 0 (which stands for "scanline") with ".scan" 3 - rasterizer. Right now i`m testing with another file but cant reproduce the same pattern - quite strange i think. Anyway - the cause is known, will have to just find a way to fix it.

11 November 2009, 02:39 PM
So, i think i found a workaround. You have to save the file as .ma and edit it as i wrote above. Then, when you open it again in Maya, by some strange reason, the algorithm in the render settings is again reverted to Scanline, no mater the edit. Re-save it with rasterizer/ raytrace checked and its good to go! F***in mentalray integration! >:(

11 November 2009, 10:26 PM
WAO man that's insane.
thanks for sharing the solution anyways (y)

11 November 2009, 08:09 AM
Ahh, no problem mate... I have found so many solutions to so many problems here on cgtalk, i`ll be very glad if i can contribute! :)

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2009, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.