View Full Version : Displacement Map Creation Issue

jedipottsy
11 November 2009, 08:52 PM
hi, ive modelled a horse, which im trying to render inside of maya however im getting some displacement issue's, at first i thought it was due to the UV's and with it all being on a single tile, so i re-uv mapped the horse and tried to create the displacement again, but the same issue happens. around the Eyes i get problems, i thought this was a seam issue however i completely changed the UV seams so that there was none around the eyes and it still occurs and i also get wierd blobs on the mesh. Ive tried multiple settings inside Mudbox when extracting the Displacement maps, furthest inside, furthest outside, closest to mesh, changed the search distance, smoothed source, smoothed target, normalize on and off and nothing works.

I also tried importing the low level mesh into a new mudbox scene and sculpt using displacement and it produced the same problems that maya did.

i could really do with some help as this is a project for University, and the deadline isn't far off.

Minimus
11 November 2009, 12:12 AM
bin stuck with that issue myself using mudbox 2010. eatch time im done with my model and is ready to make a displace ment map i jsut cross my finger and puss the button. either its a sucksess or a total dissaster..... :banghead:

well this is just blabber i have no solution butt love to hear one if some one knows :thumbsup:

jedipottsy
11 November 2009, 12:12 AM
bin stuck with that issue myself using mudbox 2010. eatch time im done with my model and is ready to make a displace ment map i jsut cross my finger and puss the button. either its a sucksess or a total dissaster..... :banghead:

well this is just blabber i have no solution butt love to hear one if some one knows :thumbsup:

my solution is to export the high level mesh to ZBrush, recreate subdivisions and it creates a perfect displacement map without any issues.

Minimus
11 November 2009, 10:24 AM
well thats kinda an expencive solution :D
i gues i could try it out on the free trial tho. the best whould be to gett a mudbox fix.

is there any rule about not having open areas on the mesh like in the eyes and mouth and that stuff. do the mesh need to be constant.

jedipottsy
11 November 2009, 05:06 PM
well thats kinda an expencive solution :D
i gues i could try it out on the free trial tho. the best whould be to gett a mudbox fix.

is there any rule about not having open areas on the mesh like in the eyes and mouth and that stuff. do the mesh need to be constant.

as far as i can tell i dont think so, ive tried open and closed meshes and both produce terrible Displacement maps, i think there might be a scale issue, if i start in 3DSMax into mudbox the mes is much larger and that produces good results (not perfect).

Minimus
11 November 2009, 09:36 PM
i tried the solutions for the spike issue around the eyes and holes here

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-mudbox/community-help/faq-and-common-solutions/

it worked against the hole areas but i still gott this random holes around the mesh. kinda strang. but a step closer. and i read that we should keep the mesh closed everywere at anytime and open it AFTER we have created displacement map and are back in to max/maya ect. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2009, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.