Firstly we apologize for the small hiatus with this month's challenge announcement, due to past events along with Expose, it's been a rough couple of months. With that said we're pleased to get underway yet another for another fun filled challenge.
The next challenge topic.
This month's Challenge is entitled "The Sideshow"
- The Sideshow -
Carnies. You know the type - small hands, smell like cabbage. Women with beards and little boys with hairy faces or lobster claws. Elephant men and mermaids. These are the people that thrilled sideshow punters in circus sideshow heyday era from 1840 to 1940 with their grotesque appearances from behind bars and within gloomy straw-lined tents. Social outcasts that had no choice but to act as exhibits to instil anything from outright disgust to fear, wonder and sympathy in punters, these are the characters that you need to create for this challenge, The Sideshow.
Please note that we do not mean to offend anyone or to view Sideshow people in a derogatory fashion at all. We just thought it would be a refreshing change from monsters, and would give challengers an excellent chance for flexing their human modelling skills, as well as a chance to create really interesting characters with fascinating and unique qualities.
Ok Guys we're going back to the old school ways, I mean back to the start the beginning of these challenges.
The final rules for the challenge are:
Famous SideShow Freaks that aren't allowed throughout this challenge
Midgets (or for a correct term, little people)
Yes that's correct it's time to use your imaginations.
1) Character must be dressed in appropriate attire from the era, that being from 1840 to the turn of the century.
2) Must have a visible, deformity (this means that people hammering nails into their noses, or people that merely have excess hair do not count).
3) Character must carry a prop in hand.
4) Character is allowed to be cartoony.
5)The model poly count must be 2500-4000 tris [scenes will not be larger than 50,000-75,000 tris]
6) Models can not use anymore than two 512x512 32-bit TARGA/TIFF texture sheet. Alpha-Transparencies are allowed.
7) Character must be male, female, or of hybrid gender.
8) Character has to be asymmetrical.
9) Character must be posed in final render.
10) Final model should be shown from a couple of different angles. [ie: front ¾ view, rear ¾ view] You must include textual information on final render stating amount of geometry, textures, etc.
11) Specular maps are allowed
12) Normal mapping is allowed.
13) Bumpmaps are allowed throughout the challenge and for final voting (so you don't have to texture your character/vehicle if you don't feel the need to)
14) Please put thought into your work, it's rather depressing for us judges to wade through entries that are quite honestly boring! And NO dancing monkeys!!
These rules will be strictly enforced, and ignoring them will result in your entry being disqualified.
The Challenge starts when it starts SUNDAY AUGUST 10th and will run until SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 21st
An excellent idea was suggested to have a countdown timer located on the cgchallenge site. This will now always be implemented.
- Please provide some form of concept art, a doodle is fine.
- Render from a few different point of views so we can see details. Remember that this is a WIP challenge, so it is a requirement to show the steps you used, and help out as much as you can, of course you're not obligated to, but it will help those that need it greatly.
There are however some restrictions to prevent unnecessary issues:
Images with a direct outside linking should NOT exceed the size of either 800x600 or 600x800 in the forum itself. . . If you wish to show a larger formatted picture, do so using the new cgchallenge.com site. . .this is to help those people with small monitors and slow connections.
Important, Please DO NOT use any models prior to the challenge start date, please start from scratch. If it's evident you used an old model, you will be told to remove and start over.
When you begin a new thread please use the following syntax
The Sideshow - character/vehicle/environment - [your name]
so for example
The Sideshow- character - lildragon
And that's it,
Now on with the show :)