LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Attaching geometry to single particles

09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Hello there,

Currently, I am kind of stuck in a project. In the scene, there are some particles flying around.

Now I want to attach small spheres to some of those particles (no more than 5% of the particles), as those spheres are intended to create a special sparkling effect in the final render.

I tried createing some spheres, translating them and later parenting them to the specific particles via...

parent $newSphere[$i];

...but Maya didn't like that, giving an error about parenting to underworld objects wasn't possible.

Do you maybe have a better idea for creating the desired behavior?

09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
You're going to have to move the geo in the expression using xform commands on the spheres based on particle positions.. but more importantly,

why not just use the particle instancer?

09-24-2009, 12:03 AM

I just did almost exactly the same thing (posted here:

it places particles at geometry first then puts in the correct expression but you should be able to hack it apart.

09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree with redpawFX. You should just use the particle instancer. The fastest and easiest way to do this is just create 20 empty groups with one having a sphere underneath it. Then just have the instancer cycle through the particles based on particleId. That would make so only 5% of the particles have spheres attached to them.

09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Otherwise, if you only need a single shader and render with MR, use the particle shape sphere render type... ...even less hassle

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.