View Full Version : I'm struggling with a decision

09 September 2009, 01:27 AM
Before you read any further, this isn't a "What's the best school?" thread. I've read plenty of those. and I thought a year ago that I'd be happy with my choice.

I am a student at the Academy of Art University, online part-time. My research must have gotten a little off when deciding on colleges because I wanted to cheaper college to go to. I knew what I wanted to do, and I knew what I needed to do. I suppose at the time AAU was one of the cheaper colleges I could attend. However, now that I'm looking at it, I don't think I can live with the fact that by the end of my BFA, I will have accumulated $97,000 in federal student loans. With my interest rate set at 6%, that puts me over the top at around $103,000 in tuition and other school costs. With a repayment plan of 120 months, that makes my monthly payment of this loan set to $850/mo. Can you see where I'm coming from now?

When I was deciding on schools I looked into many. As I am living in Iowa, my choices were slim. Another school I looked into was They teach animation and that's what I wanted. However, since they were a relatively new school and not many people had much to say about them I sort of just skimmed right past them. Now that I'm looking again, I really want to go to this school. I just don't know how.

I love AAU. The teacher's are fantastic and I have learned a lot over the past year. As little of time that is, I do feel I have grown as an artist. If the price were lowered I would have no problem continuing my education at this school. The fact that I love AAU is sort of putting a crimp in my decision. I almost feel guilty and I can't stop feeling guilty. I feel like I've betrayed them or even myself. I'm not sure.

So if I were to apply at and I get accepted, I honestly do not know how I would go about dropping out of AAU. I've made a lot of friends and I wish I could truly afford this school -- but I can't. Writing an e-mail to my adviser to tell them I got accepted to a different school and I would like to withdraw my enrollment would really kill me inside.

Even then, if I got past e-mailing my adviser I don't know if I would have to start repaying the loans I took out for AAU. If I do, I honestly cannot afford it. The whole point of getting an education was to get a job in the industry so I can actually afford to live which I can barely do at the moment.

I know these forums can be harsh at times, but all I really want is some advice from someone on what I could do.

Josh Martin

09 September 2009, 06:54 AM
This isn't a bizz for the faint hearted. I think if you try extremely hard it is possible to save 10,000 bucks a year. That means no beer and no video games. At that rate you will be pretty poor for 10 years.

As an instructor in a college I don't believe schools can offer the kind of quality to be found in oline learning atm. Your real concern should be how to get a great folio together the rest is as they say peanuts.

It takes much work to be able to produce good work so you don't really have time to nancy about.

Just my opinion.

09 September 2009, 09:17 PM
You shouldn't have to start paying back the loans as you'd still be a fulltime student. You'll want to talk to the financial aid advisor for AM(and possibly AAU) to see exactly what you need to do to get everything setup correctly, but it shouldn't be too painful.

Also, I'd take a look at your math. That 97k on a 10 year loan would be more like 130k after interest. Your payments will be over 1k/month, so you'd almost certainly have to consolidate into a 30 year term.

09 September 2009, 10:07 PM
Ouch! Yeah, I don't think I had all interest figured in.... Your math hurts more though lol

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2009, 10:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.