View Full Version : access to preference settings?

Hobbs
09 September 2009, 06:10 PM
Is there a way to access these properties? I've tried looking in the help, but i don't know exactly where to look. I'm sure i'll probably find as soon as i post this.

I'm particularly looking for access to the "dot" and "handle" size. I would prefer not to go through dialogMonitorOps.

any help would be appreciated.

attached is a screenshot of what i'm looking for..

denisT
09 September 2009, 06:38 PM
Is there a way to access these properties? I've tried looking in the help, but i don't know exactly where to look. I'm sure i'll probably find as soon as i post this.

I'm particularly looking for access to the "dot" and "handle" size. I would prefer not to go through dialogMonitorOps.

there is no access to these params from MXS. And it seams like you can't get them using dialogMonitorOps...

Hobbs
09 September 2009, 06:44 PM
thats what i thought

looks like i might have to parse the 3dsmax.ini file. Anyone have much experience doing that?

PiXeL_MoNKeY
09 September 2009, 06:51 PM
It is inside the 3dsmax.ini file. You would need to use this to get the values:
getINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "VertexDots"
getINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "VertexDotType"
getINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "HandleBoxType"And this to set the values:
setINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "VertexDots" "1"
setINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "VertexDotType" "0" -- can be between 0 and 5, where 0=2 and 5=7
setINISetting (getMAXIniFile()) "Performance" "HandleBoxType" "1" -- can be between 0 and 5, where 0=2 and 5=7Only problem is that it doesn't force it in the current Max session. Not sure how to force Max to reload the .ini.

-Eric

Hobbs
09 September 2009, 06:59 PM
thanks, that will help out a bunch.

i can force a restart of max, that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm basically trying to make a script to save all my settings, and then when i get a new version of max, to incorporate them. I know loading various menu's files and such of older versions usually breaks new features. i had that happen to me back in the day when i tried to load a 7 .cui file into 9. Or at least that was my recollection anyways.....

But in that regard, where are custom toolbars located? I'm pretty sure i don't have access to making those in maxscript either?

PiXeL_MoNKeY
09 September 2009, 07:05 PM
They are ascii files and are stored in .cui files in your UI folder, and you can use get/setINISetting to access/modify/create the data.

EDIT: with the getINISetting <filename_string>, and getINISetting <filename_string> <section_string> you can get arrays of all the section and keys. You can then use that to extract the needed data.

-Eric

Hobbs
09 September 2009, 07:08 PM
Cool. thanks again :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2009, 07:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.