LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : New Multi-Pass Rendering Video Tutorial

08-09-2009, 03:11 PM (
View Here (
Even if you decide not to buy, at least check out the sample video. It's a good little demonstration of the awesome workflow many people are missing out on, and now that Toxik is a part of Maya 2010 there are no more excuses.

While you're carousing around, check out ( It's a social networking website built for the 3D community. Cool website. Really happy I was able to create this tutorial for them.

04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi there;

That tutorial seems very helpfull, just one question BTW.

┐Wich pass is the fifth one (the one just with colors and textures without lighting information)?.

04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
That would be the diffuse_level. I should mention though, my workflow has changed significantly since I made this tutorial a year ago. That's not to say that there is not still useful information to be had in here, but don't take everything to heart.

For instance I wasn't using Linear workflow at the time, so expect some inconsistencies with compositing as well. For instance I use screen quite a bit, which while using linear workflow, you should be adding instead. (screen is a dirty hack of sorts).

The only way you'll ever truly learn this stuff is through a combination of research and experimentation. My tutorial will give you a good introduction, so will the character texturing Gnomon DVD or the Digital tutors tutorial with the ant. Just keep in mind there is a ton of bad information out there, no one resource is going to give you all the right info, even my own (currently). Who knows, maybe I'll update it someday.

04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes please, update it when you can and I'll become buyer, that price is pretty good for me :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.