View Full Version : AVI wirter for nuke 5.1

tex1820
08 August 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi all, I am have some trouble finding an AVI writer plug-in for Nuke 5.1, I thought it would come with one but i guess not :/ Anyone know where on the web i can find one? I have googled every forum i could find

James S

beaker
08 August 2009, 03:57 AM
Nuke doesn't write avi files. You would have to write your own plugin to do this. Why in the world do you need to write to avi?

Njen
08 August 2009, 11:42 AM
For the same reason you would want to write to a quicktime.

For instance, When I submit my comp through my custom script to Backburner, The script then automatically submits a second comp that is dependent on the first to finish, and makes a QT from the rendered image sequence of the first comp.

Aneks
08 August 2009, 10:01 AM
but seriously Ryan, who in their right mind is using avi in production ? What is is the use of a low res movie file that you cant frame by fame and that only plays back reliably (and I use the term loosely) in Windows ??!

it has literally been years since I have been in a windows based produciton environment......

Njen
09 September 2009, 06:26 AM
People that have lower end systems like me who are making short animated films at home.

I can't play back a 500+ frame shot of full res HD frames on my system. So I create a half res version so I can reliably view and certainly I can frame by frame through if I have to.

It all works perfectly fine for me.

Do you mean to tell me that if you quickly wanted to check the motion of something in a shot, that you would wait a minute or two for the full res frames to load up into Framecycler every time? That seems like a waste of time to me.

And when you have 200+ shots that you are comping all by yourself, it becomes necessary to have a quick and fast way to view shots, that's why I render a half res version of each one. If I didn't do that, then my work flow would be seriously slowed down. I can't count the number of times I open and close those half res versions to quickly check things every day.

So the question is not why would you want to make a lower res movie version of your shot, but why wouldn't you?

Tagger
09 September 2009, 07:17 AM
with the latest 5.2 update you can use ffmpeg to read and write avi i think

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2009, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.