View Full Version : Color Keying for superimposing.

Cadedra
07 July 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi, guys.

I am working on a personal film project where I have to key out a blue screen background so I can have my character set in a virtual environment that I have got in another video track. I am working on Premiere, so I have been studying the Color Keying topic at the Premiere Bible (nice book)… but I do not feel I have the control of it. The contents of the book about this topic are too light.

So I would like to get into deeper knowledge about color keying and blue and green photography so I can gain true control over this. Can anybody, please, recommend me some book or website where I can learn about the topic?

Thanks!

aesnakes
07 July 2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.digitalcompositing.com/

the art and science of digital compositing by Ron Brinkmann

and you should really be keying in Nuke, Shake or at least in After Effects.

Cadedra
07 July 2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot, aesnakes, looks like this will do…

By the way, what about Avid for keying? You know, I am trying not to jump to new apps if possible… Is Premiere that bad at keying?

Guess this book will tell me about it anyway, but I would like to have a quick answer by now just to plan if I begin moving to another app.

Again thanks!!

scrimski
07 July 2009, 08:13 PM
All editing apps suck for compositing stuff(and the other way around). FCP does, Avid does(except Nitris maybe), liquid does. It's no more good than previewing/editing keyed shots for the picture lock and handing over to a compositor.
Get your hands on After Effects, shake or similiar. AE is probably your best bet with Premiere and there are ons of tutorials for keying in After Effects..

Cadedra
08 August 2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you two. I had always believed that video editing apps were the best choice for keying... Now I have opened my eyes.
Nuke or Shake you say. Ok, now I have a good reason to get into it.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2009, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.