Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Render/File issue with MR

07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey guys,

Heres what's happened - I successfully modeled, textured and rendered an object which rendered fine using Maya Software as my 'Render Using' setting, however, when I switch to Mental Ray and render I get the following message:

// Error: (mental ray) : ...uments/maya/projects/red_wagon/sourceimages/Apanelstripe.tif: file format subtype or version not supported

I know that my texture file is the cause but i thought .tif files were supposed to be most compatible with Mental Ray. I experimented around with file compression settings and it works fine with Targa and TIFF(when compression is set to 'NONE'), however, i need to keep the layers so that i can tweak if needed. What would be the best file format to use? Would it be simpler to use a PSD Network?

Also, I just have a general wondering what format to save Maya scenes in as i'v heard .MA is favoured over .MB. What are the benefits and uses of each?

Thanks in advance

07-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Targa's are better..but are a bit bigger. I use targas for everything. Also targas support layers like psds.

I would use .MA

MA saves and loads from a un-encoded text file. MB doesn't. befits....
Lets say your working on your maya file and it crashes and now everytime you open it gives you a error. if you are using a MB file...your screwed...if your using a MA file you can open your MA in a text document and find the issue thats causing it to error out and fix those lines of code.

07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the swift response. I think i best start using the .MA for my Maya scenes in that case.

I tried saving as a Targa file again but it's still merging my layers and i'm unable to edit them. In the options the 'Layers' option is greyed out with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark reading 'File must be saved as a copy with this selection'. The Alpha option is the only one i can check and uncheck. I'm using PS CS4 if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for the help so far

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.