View Full Version : Displacement maps - artifacts on eyes and mouth edges

mswertfager
07 July 2009, 11:04 PM
So, mudbox is seems to have challenges exporting displacement maps from a mesh containing holes (e.g. eyes, mouth, etc). The results I have experienced are white (dropout) edging around the eyes and mouth in the displacement map.

The postings I have read about working around were from two years ago and a couple versions of Mudbox...they include adding extra mesh to later delete and cleaning up the displacement maps in Photoshop. neither of these options work too well. Has anyone figured out a better solution/workaround?

...after all , making faces in MB and displacement maps from it, must be a significant part of MB's client business.

Pic included, http://www.thetell-taleheart.com/file_sharing/displacement_L5_V1e_u1_v1.gif
-Micheal

Ash-Man
07 July 2009, 07:24 PM
read my blog

i made a vid about that

mswertfager
07 July 2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Ash-Man.

I reviewed your blog and did not see a tutorial that touches on this. Granted I did see the UV smooth tutorial, which I don't see how this is related. Could you point me to the specific blog?

By the way, I enjoy your tut's I am glad to know where your blog is...many more great tuts to review.

-Michael

Ash-Man
07 July 2009, 10:32 PM
sorry, i thought you are talking about the "hard edges"
if you however refering to the white spots there. that is either the search distacne
or maybe your object is overlapping on itelf

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2009, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.