View Full Version : Weird result when importing high res mesh as layer

Ekar
07 July 2009, 12:08 PM
Hello ;)

I'm having some difficulty trying to import new UV's into an already fully sculpted Mudbox project. I'll try to keep this simple... ;)

1. started sculping from the base cube object in Mudbox. UV's are typical UVs for a cube.

2. Completed the sculpt to a high degree of detail.

3. Now I need to import new UVs set so I can start painting. Here's where I'm having problems... I've had a bit of a look around the net, but am still confused about how to go about this task.

Firstly, I've exported the full high poly model as an .obj. I've also exported the model as an .obj at a lower subdivision level (not the first level as I feel the shape is too simple to work properly as UVs). Went to Maya, did the UVs, then imported this object back into a new mudbox scene. I sub D'd the model up to the number of polygons of my final completed model- then used 'import as layer' on this new highest level, selecting my high poly .obj model.

After some time the model does come in, the details are there but it's also totally messed up, skewered by shards or cobwebs for lack of a better description. When I pagedown to the lower levels, the model is obviously trashed, like a crumpled up piece of paper.

I'd really like to understand how to import new UV's for a completed mudbox model. I could work from the lower sub D level and build up the details again but this seems like a waste of time when the completed model is already done. What am I doing wrong? I'd love to get a handle on this :)

Thanks very much,

Ekar

xerious3d
07 July 2009, 06:44 PM
This is only a suggestion since i have not had a chance to test out from a model with totally different UVs, being that your original one had no Uvs and your new Low res does, in which case you can just give your high res UVs in a 3d package and export it back out. But have you read through the zbrush to Mudbox tutorial in the help docs for mudbox? It shows you step by step on how to reconstruct your sub division levels from 0 to what ever sub d levels you had, low res to high res.

Hope it helps.

Ekar
07 July 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi xerious3d

Thanks for the reply. My main problem I think was having 'mulitple objects' in the maya obj import options set to true (needs to be unticked).

The mudbox forum has another thread detailing a similar problem to mine, I followed the advice there and was able to get the proper results..

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-mudbox/my-tips-tutorials-workflows/updating-uvs/page-2/

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2009, 03:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.