View Full Version : CG Helicopter Live action plate WIP

derkoi
07 July 2009, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to achieve a realistic helicopter composited on a live action plate.

I made an effects test & i'd like your suggestions as to make it more real, i can't put my finger on what more it needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U369k1mH9v8

Watch in HD if you can.

Thanks

scrimski
07 July 2009, 04:12 PM
The helis animation looks a bit too static.
I'm in no way an expert, but would add i very subtile motion to it, maybe exaggerate the motion when it accelerates or turns around.

derkoi
07 July 2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Your comments confuse me, do you mean add subtle shakes or some other movement to the heli?

Also exaggerate the motion, you mean faster?

StSabath
07 July 2009, 05:35 PM
First of all,nice work sofar.

As suggested above,i would increase the speed of the main rotor,maybe try to get the "inverse"-effect in(the effect that you get when an object spins round at very high speed,so that it seems that the object spins in different directions on intervals).
Also when a rotary wing is at the height as presented in the animation,it will disturb the surroundings by kicking up dust/debree,or generate winds on the ground.

But as i said,good work sofar.

scrimski
07 July 2009, 06:01 PM
our comments confuse me, do you mean add subtle shakes or some other movement to the heli?Kind of.

Also exaggerate the motion, you mean faster?No. When the heli acclerates(at 0:13) the nose dips down and pretty fast goes up again. Try to extend that momentum a bit. Same when the heli comes to stand stil in mid air at 0:03. Let it 'swing a bit more - tail down, nose up and slide a tad foward. The way it stops feels too abrupt.

derkoi
07 July 2009, 07:21 PM
StSabath, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, i forgot about wind and dust etc, silly me!

I had a hard time getting the rotors to look like they do as they kinda stuttered and didn't flow too well how i had them, i suppose maybe trying to calculate rotations x frames of animation will be in order.

scrimski, thanks for that, i understand what you mean now.

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2009, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.