1. I have a character who has armor around his waist.
2. The thigh and hamstring pads are to hang from his hip armor. 3. The thigh/hamstring pads are parented to the hip pads and the hip pads are parented to the Hips bone.
4. The hierarchy is setup with a relations constraint to have delayed motion (dampened), same as on the 3DBuzz VTM's. So the pads sway as the Hips effector is dragged around. This is good so far.
Now the kicker:
5. The pads should always want to point "down" as though gravity were forced on them. They should "dangle" like a rope, since they are help together with leather straps. I'm not worried about the pads going through the legs, I'll use an IK constraint to keep this from happening.
1. When the Hips Effector translates, the armor will translate with a delay, causing it to ebb and flow with the Hips effector (this is good).
2. When the Hips effector rotates, the pads should not rotate, but they should but act as though gravity were upon them.
Now that I've written all of this, I think I have a solution, but since I've come this far in writing I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.