View Full Version : Plugin wish: Zbuffer control

07 July 2003, 08:55 PM
I would LOOOOVE to be able to change the Zbuffer information in LightWave, the way we can control alpha, on a surface basis.

As I explained here, ( XDOF uses the Zbuffer to determine the distance of a surface to the camera. This results in the inaccurate rendering of reflection, refraction and transparency, since the Zbuffer does not take into account the effect that the latter two effects have on distance. LW's built-in DOF suffers from the same limitation. 99% of the time we don't care... I'm in the other 1% on this project.

While the camera hack I described would solve this problem, it isn't anymore production-ready than Lightwave's DOF is, for the same reason -- sampling noise.

I am working on a series where the main characters are cars. We are using XDOF. As a result, we get a lot of shots where the car is in focus, but the far background isn't - EXCEPT through their glass.

If I could "adjust" the Zbuffer data before it is reported to X-DOF, I could manually cause the glass to appear "far away" and thusly blur properly. This could be done by multiplication (half as far away, twice as far away as normal) or absolute specification (X meters up to infinity).

If anybody knows of a plug that does this, I'll be one happy camper...

EDIT: I double-checked, LW DOF seems to handle glass properly (but not reflections). So that's good, but I'd still be very interested in this functionality if it exists. thanx!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.