View Full Version : using mental ray 3.6 GI for animation

mister3d
05 May 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi. Who have been using mental ray GI for animation? I made some simple tests, it looks like photons are bad for it even if you add final gather, because there are some photon leaks.
So maybe a better choice is using FG with its seconday bounces? I'm still new to mental GI, so I might be wrong.

RagingBull
05 May 2009, 12:51 AM
It causes more problems than it's worth usually.
Why not learn how to do this without resorting to FG/GI ?

It's not a written in stone rule but most people don't use FG/GI for animations with moving objects. Which is pretty much down to 2 problems, render times and strange artefacts.

I don't think there is a magic formula but there are tried and tested ways which will always work.

MikeBracken
05 May 2009, 01:33 AM
What kind of animation? We use GI/FG for the environments and AO/direct light for characters.

Regards,
Mike

mister3d
05 May 2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks, I know about those types of workarounds, I just was wondering maybe there are some positive changes in this field.
Sure, considering the speed of depthmaps in mental ray it makes sense to use fake GI.

RagingBull
05 May 2009, 01:46 PM
We use GI/FG for the environments and AO/direct light for characters.

Definitely a good way to utilise FG/GI, I'm pretty sure we've used that way of working to, until problems start occurring that take too long to solve, then it's back to a more traditional work around. Just worth knowing how to use both methods.

mister3d:
I was thinking the same thing when I fired up my 3d software again last week doesn't look like anything has changed really. Just using combinations of methods to get what you are looking for I guess.
Good luck !

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2009, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.