XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Hello everyone. Cel shader question...

07-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Hello to all I'm the new guy.

I'm a 3d artist/animator who of course uses Lightwave :)
I hope I can share my work with you guys and gain insight from your own in the future.

For now though I have a question... I'm working on a project that is heavy on the cel shading and was wondering whether you guys could assist me with some outline problems I'm having. I can't get line work that isn't around the edge of the character or a surface, to appear. This is chiefly a problem around the nose edge and on the mouth. I'm using the Unreal Cel Shader at the moment but since it's Japanese I can't read the documentation :(

I'd appreciate any assistance but I'd also like to hear any suggestions for a better cel shader if you have them.

Thanks everyone

07-14-2003, 09:35 AM
For what it's worth, I use LightWave Edges for most of my "inking." I have the technical rules of LightWave Edges listed here for modelers:

If unReal's ink lines behave anything like Silhouette Edges, perhaps the geometry of the nose does not turn away from the camera enough to qualify for an ink line.

You might supplement unReal's ink lines by painting fixed ink lines directly on the model. You can create "ink lines" with texture maps and geometry flat-shaded with the same color as the ink line.

For example, on this character (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/lore/) I used color texture maps to make the eyebrows. I also built fixed "ink lines" on the character with geometry -- the jaw line, the innermost part of the ear, the inside of the nose, and the ink line that defines the bottom of the lower lip.

07-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Ah! Edges! For whatever reason that never occurred to me. Thank you very much for your help. I'll go and try a few things now.

Oh and btw, very nice character model you referred me to :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.