View Full Version : Dylan - Anime character
04 April 2009, 02:14 AM
Well, Im making this guy for a freelance work of a small project. Basically, the limitations are 5k tris max, and a couple of textures for diffuse i believe. Its gonna be kinda cartoon shaded to resemble anime :P
Anyways, im kinda hoping you guys can help me out with the topology, where i could work on it, and where i could add more polys.
Its 3864 tris atm.
This is a small test I made for proportions just painting a screeny of the model *later changed the proportions just a bit
04 April 2009, 06:12 AM
well seeing as you have quite some left...
I would suggest putting some more in the deformable areas (knees/ ankles/ shoulders/ elbows) what you have now seems quite minimal and I think the characters is going to be animated that'll make rigging/skinning a little easier
And second you would probably put a little more roundness in the trousers and maybe one or two major folds in the puffy parts of the clothing.
Right now I see no poly deficiencies and the above points will make the end result that much better I believe.
I hope this helped and confirmed your suspicions. Greetings!
04 April 2009, 06:28 AM
THanks matsman! I decided to add more polys to some areas like the arms and legs, and removes some extra polys on the back of his head. Also added the bag,belt and some details. Ill see if I add an extra line of polys to the knee area and elbow area. Thanks for the crit!
04 April 2009, 07:35 PM
New update 19/04/2009
Listened to you guys and decided to put more loops on his deformation areas, took some polys out, some in, etc. Also, moved the arms a bit higher since i noticed the neck looked weird. I think its uv time. c&c welcome!
04 April 2009, 08:30 AM
I finally got time to finish the UV map, and now its texturing time. Just a little work on the texture, c&c welcome!
04 April 2009, 09:37 AM
keep going... want to see more...
And... kinda jealous... I can't seem to get anime characters right in 3d :)
comment: no too sure about the nose... looks a bit rabbity to me...
04 April 2009, 09:02 PM
My advice would be towards your pipeline. It's only a small thing, but work in larger areas on the texture. For example, you've put work into the face, and shoulders, but not even a base colour on the rest of the body.
You should lay down a primitive set of colours first all over the character, so you can see how the colour scheme works as one. This is important as a 2D concept image colour scheme may look right, however you may decide that you want the chest/neck area to actually be blue, which means more work changing colours later in the texture creation.
All the best with the model.
05 May 2009, 07:11 AM
Well, heres a small update :p i havent been able yto work on it cuz of a lot of freelance stuff, but here's a bit ^^
Worked on the textures a bit, just mainly sketching out forms and color, and afterwards, im gonna get everything detailed down :)
Keep in mind, this is gonna be kind of celshaded, so i have to mantain a really simplistic texture. C&C welcome
Chillipunk: Thx for the crit. I agree with you on the color base of the whole model ^^ Thing is, for that texture update i made it in about 15 mins before going to sleep, so i dont think it was that bad of an idea, heh :)
05 May 2009, 07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.