View Full Version : Drosera - macro/DOF test, Kurt Singstad (3D)

KurtS
04 April 2009, 08:37 PM
https://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/newgallerycrits/g24/215724/215724_1239741436_medium.jpg (https://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/newgallerycrits/g24/215724/215724_1239741436_large.jpg)

Title: Drosera - macro/DOF test
Name: Kurt Singstad
Software:

I modeled this "drosera"-like plant (insect eating plant) to test the DOF/bokeh capabilities of the Luxology render engine.
Modeled in microstation V8i
rendered in Luxology Render, beta version (integral in Microstation)

Comments and critics are welcome!

s0ke
04 April 2009, 01:53 AM
Repetitive patterns mmmm good. Very interesting to look at. I like.

D4riel
04 April 2009, 02:08 AM
hey i LIkeee isss crazyyyy o_0.......:P

agv
04 April 2009, 02:42 AM
Being a collector of drosera and other carnivorous plants, I took an immediate liking to this. Interesting and unique! The DOF looks really nice.

pcanime
04 April 2009, 03:23 AM
Nice work man

much rewards

MindedVague
04 April 2009, 05:05 AM
woow i like it too much camera angel excellent material splendid the environment wonderful
the idea is perfect 5 star

ZhengQuan
04 April 2009, 06:13 AM
This is a great work!
4* from me~

foxter
04 April 2009, 09:25 AM
Perfect DOF!!!

KurtS
04 April 2009, 03:09 PM
thanks a lot for your comments! Much appreciated!

A wireframe might not be so interesting for this kind of simple scenes, but here is one anyway :-) :
https://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/newgallerycrits/g24/215724/215724_1239660610_large.jpg

Molier
04 April 2009, 07:23 PM
looks great! :thumbsup:

NCdeIgnis
04 April 2009, 09:26 PM
strange thing... =)
but i like it great dof and nice shader.

RTjunior
04 April 2009, 11:07 PM
DOF turned out quite well. Good job on this!

kvakin
04 April 2009, 08:20 AM
WOW! dude
It seems like virus under the microscope:)
Damn it ! I'm really like it !

KurtS
04 April 2009, 03:55 PM
thanks!
:-)

maxlover
04 April 2009, 07:02 PM
nothing but Awesome!
what was render time

KurtS
04 April 2009, 07:51 PM
the rendering time was long due to the DOF and the fact that the original is 3200 px wide (I think). It was 10-12 hours I believe.

Imhotep397
04 April 2009, 07:57 PM
Luxology's Nexus renderer definitely seems to be showing some legs. There's a little too much gritty noise, but the reflection/refraction and light dispersion complexity in this is pretty inspiring to see.

danbaiton
04 April 2009, 08:17 PM
Any chance you could upload the 3200px wide version, wouldnt mind that as a background wallpaper! :p

KurtS
04 April 2009, 08:48 PM
Any chance you could upload the 3200px wide version, wouldnt mind that as a background wallpaper! :p

sure, HERE (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/kurtks/?action=view&current=Drosera.jpg) it is. But you will have to do some cropping to use it as wallpaper, and you will probably also notice that the noise is even more noticable in this size...

danbaiton
04 April 2009, 09:35 PM
Ah thank you, looking quite nice on my dual screen setup :). Again thanks !

Magnus3D
04 April 2009, 10:47 PM
Great image Kurt and congratulations on making it to toprow! :) a well deserved spot for a well created image.

/ Magnus

Ac0rN
04 April 2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, just looked at your blog, you have it full of amazing stuff.

Good work.

phoenix
04 April 2009, 02:21 AM
quite impressive piece my friend

regards

Shogun-3D
04 April 2009, 03:13 AM
Hello.
It's amazing, how some polygons of torus, extruded couple of times, smoothed, with proper glass material applied, wirh camera DOF and HDRI map in the background can give such a nice effect.
15 minutes of work + render have given you a CG talk front.
Respect.

ambient-whisper
04 April 2009, 03:38 AM
Hello.
It's amazing, how some polygons of torus, extruded couple of times, smoothed, with proper glass material applied, wirh camera DOF and HDRI map in the background can give such a nice effect.
15 minutes of work + render have given you a CG talk front.
Respect.

its like this with 2d as well. some artists know their strokes soo well that what they do in in 15 minutes could be considered pluggable. take most work by craig mullins. his work is very confident. this is very much the same. its simple, but it looks good, and thats why its plugged.

chokata
04 April 2009, 08:02 AM
Great render! Congratulations!

energise
04 April 2009, 11:45 AM
This is exactly the kind of art i like hangin on my walls at home!

LOVE IT =P

djart73
04 April 2009, 01:23 PM
Hello dear forumleaders, i once wonder again about you and the decisions you make?
Its not against you kurtS but, this work does not belong to the frontpage!

Its a slap in the face for all the artists working hard and long to create some images, which are totally great but will never be seen because they just fade away in the depths of CGTalk.

You might call me jealous now but this just isnt right!

Apart from that, nice DOF.

Greets djart73

ambient-whisper
04 April 2009, 01:36 PM
Hello dear forumleaders, i once wonder again about you and the decisions you make?
Its not against you kurtS but, this work does not belong to the frontpage!

Its a slap in the face for all the artists working hard and long to create some images, which are totally great but will never be seen because they just fade away in the depths of CGTalk.

You might call me jealous now but this just isnt right!

Apart from that, nice DOF.

Greets djart73

its not a slap in the face. i personally dont care if someone worked hard or didnt. the end result is what matters. if someone worked 10000 hours on something but it ended up looking like an over complicated image then no, i will not give it the time of day. simple as that.

also consider that we dont plug abstract pieces too often, so sometimes its nice to vary it up a bit instead of always showing character pieces. or always photo real pieces, etc.

so, does this image get a plug. YES because its a simple, soothing image to look at. will this image get a cg choice award?! most likely it wont because while it looks good, it would requite a lot more than this to get past the other forum leaders.

please dont question us what we plug. every forum leader plugs stuff that catches their eye. its up to them, and not what others find worthy of a plug.

BrettSinclair
04 April 2009, 03:36 PM
Great render! Dof Is crisp. Interesting blog too. Some really cool renders

Cyborgguineapig
04 April 2009, 09:46 PM
The simplicity of the wire frame and the awesomeness of the final image is something to respect. And nicely said Martin.

djart73
04 April 2009, 10:37 AM
its not a slap in the face. i personally dont care if someone worked hard or didnt. the end result is what matters. if someone worked 10000 hours on something but it ended up looking like an over complicated image then no, i will not give it the time of day. simple as that.

also consider that we dont plug abstract pieces too often, so sometimes its nice to vary it up a bit instead of always showing character pieces. or always photo real pieces, etc.

so, does this image get a plug. YES because its a simple, soothing image to look at. will this image get a cg choice award?! most likely it wont because while it looks good, it would requite a lot more than this to get past the other forum leaders.

please dont question us what we plug. every forum leader plugs stuff that catches their eye. its up to them, and not what others find worthy of a plug.

Hmm, it seems youre right.
I was somehow upset, maybe i had a bad day.
I apologize for my harsh words and didnt want to harm anybody.

greets, djart73

snovak
04 April 2009, 11:53 AM
Wow.. as everyone has said the DOF looks great! How long did this take to render? Woop,,, asked too soon. Found it. So, 10-15 hrs on what sort of hardware?

Rodentchong
04 April 2009, 01:48 PM
very high quality of rendering. Great~!

slowgolde
04 April 2009, 03:59 PM
Really love the image, I've just set it as my background too :)

I think the DOF looks perfect. Out of interest I'm assuming the current DOF is calculated during the beauty render? Did you do any experiments with how it might work just doing it in post with some sort of Zmaterial/zpass. It would be nice to know how would the macro/depth render compares, time wise, to just a standard render of the scene with no blur? I've always found post (PS/shake/Afterfx) to be the only real viable option for DOF animations. Speaking of which it would be lovely to see a camera move, but maybe that's another project!

Great work :)

Oh, could you mention where the HDRI is from?

KurtS
04 April 2009, 05:58 PM
Really love the image, I've just set it as my background too :)

I think the DOF looks perfect. Out of interest I'm assuming the current DOF is calculated during the beauty render? Did you do any experiments with how it might work just doing it in post with some sort of Zmaterial/zpass. It would be nice to know how would the macro/depth render compares, time wise, to just a standard render of the scene with no blur? I've always found post (PS/shake/Afterfx) to be the only real viable option for DOF animations. Speaking of which it would be lovely to see a camera move, but maybe that's another project!

Great work :)

Oh, could you mention where the HDRI is from?

Thanks a lot for all comments!

The scene is rendered in one pass only, with DOF. No additional passes or postwork in Photoshop. It would render 10 times faster without the DOF, and I could use a zpass/photoblur in Photoshop to create DOF, but it does not look so good when the focus point is in the middle of the scene, IMO.

The HDRI used is named "probe_parksun_FINAL.hdr", and it is delivered with the Luxology Rebder engine.

KurtS
04 April 2009, 06:32 PM
So, 10-15 hrs on what sort of hardware?

Dual Intel Xeon X5355 (8 cores)

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2009, 06:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.