LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Canon HF S10- AVCHD, CS3? Workflow?

04-12-2009, 05:23 PM

I just read brand new Canon HF S100 review on In few months I am planing to purchase Canon camcorder. I wanted to buy HV 30 model, but since the "cassette technology and standard " is becoming obsolete (and after reading a lot of written material on the Internet) I decided to purchase HF S10 model, which records in AVCHD format- codec which is primary made for recording, not for editing. Since I do not have quite up do date performance computer and own only CS3 I need to know what is the best work flow using SW and HW resources I own?

I already read forums with this topics and this is the solution I found:
1. recording

2. converting .mts files to appropriate format. On this forum I found this SW Is there any quality loss when the file is converted? Are there any better converting alternatives? Adobe recommends ?! Is it possible to convert to image sequences?

3. 3d tracking with Syntheyes, compositing & editing in AE CS3,
4. rendering and exporting

Is this the right way? What is the best practice? I am especially interested in procedures in 2nd step above.

Thank you for your answers and take care!

04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
A couple years back I was looking into the same type of situation. For me it turned out that I could import the camera files into Sony Vegas and render them out to the format I wanted so I could then use them in my other programs. I haven't played with this recently enough to remember all of the details, my apologies. But, Vegas can open an amazing amount of files that other programs can not (in my case I use Combustion instead of AE), anyway if all else fails for you, it's worth a shot. Good luck, Gina

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.