View Full Version : UV maps and Sub patches in Lightwave

tpe
05 May 2002, 05:01 AM
First i think this board really is a treasure chest of artwork and info.

O.K to the question...

After having made a low polycount model in lightwave UV mapping it and texturing it i want to toggle subpatches on for animation, smoothing, tweaking geometry and rendering. When i look at the texturing it is all messed up, every time a polygone has been subdivided the texture is pinched. Then i have to remap everything after freezing the subpatches

This does not happen in softimage, have i been missing something in lightwave, is it really true that models have to be uv mapped and textured in their frozen high polycount form making the process a nightmare.

Is there any way round this, please tell me yes and how.

Many thanks

tpe

Hmnn could be that this should have been in the Lightwave section, but i dont want to spam the boards

leigh
05 May 2002, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm... that sounds really weird :surprised

You don't have to freeze the mesh before UV unwrapping, but possibly if the one you unwrapped has a really low poly count, then it would cause problems. I personally never freeze before texturing - it slows down modeller far too much.

Won't you post a render where the texture is messed up??

tpe
05 May 2002, 09:03 AM
Leigh thanks for the quick reply. This is a really low poly guy 1k but i was hoping to do a high poly version, it was not modeled as a patch mesh but just something i had on my hdd, so it is not the best example

http://www.tnslblover.co.uk/users/tpe/texturestretch.jpg

I have had the problem loads of times and it has really stopped me arranging my maps the way i want and costs me a fair bit of time. I have the feeling i must be missing something basic :P

tpe

leigh
05 May 2002, 09:44 AM
:surprised :surprised
Ummm..... did you use planar unwrapping??? What kind of unwrap did you use?

tpe
05 May 2002, 10:11 AM
Hmnn, well the torso front of the is planar in the z axis, the side in the x axis the back is in the z axis again but negative U then they are placed next to each other and the points on the seams welded and tweeked so as there is as little distortion as poss using a chequered temp texture and the pieces optimised so as to leave as little unused UV space as poss. The arms are cylindrical mapping on a streightened morph target. The head and hands are really messy, well non standard. this way there are only a few seams, little distortion and little wasted space. So it is not really any definate type of mapping.

Hell i will paste a mesh of the mapping if thats ok, i think it is pretty standard for game models.

http://www.tnslblover.co.uk/users/tpe/mapping.jpg

BTW those are great eyes ;)

leigh
05 May 2002, 10:26 AM
*scientist who has just discovered something amazing voice* AHA!!! I think I know EXACTLY why this isn't working!!
It's those damn tri-polys!!! Get rid of them!!! You see the area where the t-shirt stripes are? Merge those 3-sided poys to form 4-sided ones.... I'm sure that should do the trick ;)

tpe
05 May 2002, 11:09 AM
LOL Scientist... More like Genius. How you figured that out i dont know :)

That sorted it, I guess that edges are not so important to the shape on high poly. Now i am going to have to go through thousands of polies on all my old low poly stuff (some will be impossible) and certainly have a major rethink in my modelling style (no more triangles will be hard to get out of on low poly).

Many thanks for all the help and replies

tpe

leigh
05 May 2002, 11:57 AM
Glad to have been of help :)
I always try and avoid using tri-polys, as they often cause major problems like this... Although, like you said, it's tricky to avoid them when modelling in low poly. Best of luck! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.