View Full Version : Newline character screwing MGlobal?

cbamber85
03 March 2009, 10:38 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of converting a prototype, of a program I wrote in Python, into a C++ plugin. But I've come across a weird problem, parts of my program feed data back into a scrollField in an output window I created, but the newline character seems to be causing an 'Unterminated string' error. This is the offending command:

MGlobal::executeCommand("scrollField -e -ip 0 -it (\"\n\
-------------------------------------\n\
Simulation started.\") openEchoScroll;"));

And this is the error from the script editor:

// Error: scrollField -e -ip 0 -it (" //
// Error: Line 1.28: Unterminated string. //

But this is crazy because I get no compiling errors, and when I copy the code into the script editor manually (and remove the escape characters from the apostrophes), it works perfectly!

Any suggestions?

Robert Bateman
03 March 2009, 10:59 AM
It's not the \n, it's the actual newline in your string. This is why when you move it onto 1 line (i.e. remove the newlines) it works.

cbamber85
03 March 2009, 11:35 AM
Well, I moved it onto one line...

MGlobal::executeCommand("scrollField -e -ip 0 -it \"\n-------------------------------------\nSimulation started.\" openEchoScroll;");
...and the same error.

But I got it to work by removing all the '\n' symbols, leaving just the line continuation slash and actually putting the code on a new line in my IDE, and removing the white space before the new lines:

MGlobal::executeCommand("scrollField -e -ip 0 -it \"\
-------------------------------------\
Simulation started.\" openEchoScroll;");
Thanks anyway!

cbamber85
03 March 2009, 12:10 PM
Actually no, I was wrong. That method doesn't result in newlines, which seems kind of obvious now I look at it...

Well now I'm totally stumped, I'm using VS2008 at school at the mo, do you know of any string quirks that it has?

cbamber85
03 March 2009, 07:44 PM
Just to be sure I built a wchar_t version of it, with the \n symbol changed for \0x0a - the Unicode equivalent.

wchar_t scrollUp[] = L"scrollField -e -ip 0 -it \"\0x0a-------------------------------------\0x0aSimulation started.\" openEchoScroll;";
MGlobal::executeCommand(MString(scrollUp));
That didn't work, exactly the same error. What's really weird though is if I try my original formatting style but with the MGlobal::displayInfo() command:

MGlobal::displayInfo("-------------------------------------\n\
Simulation started.\n");
This works perfectly! Why the difference between the way executeCommand() and displayInfo() handle strings?

cbamber85
03 March 2009, 01:02 AM
This works!

MGlobal::executeCommand("scrollField -e -ip 0 -it \"\\n\
-------------------------------------\\n\
Simulation started.\\n\" openEchoScroll;");
Must be due to the way the characters in the 'inner' string are effectively parsed twice.

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2009, 01:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.