LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Mu - comic and sketch thread

03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi there,

this is to collect my sketches, but more importantly at the moment my exercises for comic drawings according to How to Draw Noir Comics. (

At the end I will translate what I will have learned into a noir comic of this script of mine (

First, I took an existing line drawing for a self portrait ( and lighted it in b/w. I checked myself in a darkened room with a mirror and a lamp which I put in different positions.

This is from memory, however...

light from the right

light from the left

light from the top

Next will be environments and dialogue shots
any help appreciated

03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
an environment of a stairway with elevator

I realize I need to do this with natural media, too (if not instead), because I dislike Painter's straight line tool.

03-08-2009, 02:41 PM

today I practised portraits from photo ref in the noir style I am studying with Shawn Martinbrough's book.

I use india ink (black and white) and edding markers (which are not as opaque as I hoped).
Posterized it after the scan so it does show only two values (instead of all the shades and stains from the curved paper a.s.o. - i.e. otherwise it looks very much like the paper version)

03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
another one from photo ref ( The head is a bit off, ack! Also, the pose is a bit more tilted in the ref.
It's just great when you spot these things just when you think you're finished.

03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
More portrait exercises in noir style. I think I can start with dialogue shots next week.

all from photo ref, albeit not too closely, I admit...:D

03-20-2009, 10:27 PM
more portraits

05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
environment practise - line drawings, scanned, copied and inked:

05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Next Exercise in Shawn Martinbrough's book is called "two-shot".

The task is to show two people in dialogue while minding the following things:

- one in the foreground, one in the middleground
- consistent lighting
- background with texture

these are from imagination without ref. As Martinbrough puts a lot of emphasis on reference (as does every good drawing teacher, I guess - hello Rebecca :D ), I will go and take a few of these from imagination level to more refined level by supporting character creation from ref.

Here's the first level:

08-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Mu,

Nice to see your sketches here. :)

Iīm joining DSFs soon as possible, seems to be great, I donīt know why I took so long to get into it :D