Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : FBX & UVs - Do they play nice?

02-20-2009, 06:50 AM
A question for any other modonauts that use FBX to transfer geom between modo and Maya -

If I create a uv map in modo and then use FBX to bring it into Maya random UV's around the edge of the map are split - ie they are not all sewn together, causing the smoothed (sub'd) shell to have distortion and stretching.

On larger assets this is a tedious process to clean up.

So - Does anyone know how I can get FBX to have a clean/sewn up uv shell on export? Any hints or tips would be most welcome!!

Thanks in advance
(oh yeah - this is in Maya 7.01... still... maybe production will let us move to 2008 soon)

Jon Farmer
San Rafael

Following are the same object and uvs in modo and maya

Original in modo

Sub'd in modo

Maya with FBX import - Notice the cut edges where the edge uvs are split

Sub'd in Maya

Phil Lawson
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey Jon

Make sure you tick linear uvs on your items properties before export - this may give better results in maya. The modo FBX exporter is based on a fairly old build of the autodesk FBX SDK, so things like this prob require an upgrade.

02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Phil - thanks for the suggestion.

I tried that but it causes all of the edges/uvs to be split when it is brought into Maya... not just the random edge uvs I had before. So when sub'd in Maya it looks like below -

Any other ideas would be most welcomed! And any place where I can find out what version FBX modo is using?

Jon Farmer

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.