LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : texture transparency display issue in xsi 7

02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
so im setting up transparency maps and it would be very helpful as i texture to see my transparency update.

the image on the left is texture with no transparency, the image on the right is the texture WITH transparency added. when i render it renders fine

my question is, what am i doing wrong and how do i fix it so that the color map displays in the viewport with the proper transparency? i had read somewhere that it's about setting up a custom open gl alpha shader or loading a preset, but i can't seem to find the spoken about open gl alpha preset, nor am i familiar enough with xsi to figure out wtf i am actually supposed to do in this situation.

thank you for your help in advance

02-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Check out ( and look at the tutorial "Rotoscope Techniques in XSI". He explains how to get transparencies to show up in a shaded view quie nicely.

You need the camtasia codec from techsmith so Media Player will play it. It is free to download. If you don't have it, go to (

Hope this helps,

02-06-2009, 06:50 AM
ok, followed the tutorial,

it definitely didn't work as it was pictured in the tutorial.

now i can get the hair to partly show up, semi transparent, even though my transparency map is black and white. but on top of that i dont know how to show the color on the non transparent parts. (not only is the black showing semi transparent but the white is still showing....)

so, now i have semi transparent tufts of hair that show the entire transparency map.

it would be really helpful to figure out how to show the whole texture so that i could do shading tests in real time, that way i can continue to work in photoshop and xsi.

thanks in advance...again

02-06-2009, 07:14 AM
i played around with the settings a bit in the shader, i got it to work.

i figured out that i had to write out a tiff with the alpha in the actual file in order for it to work. after that and then futzing around with the settings for a few minutes i stumbled across the answer.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2009, 07:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.