XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : So I want to model furniture...

06-28-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm a wierdo, mkay?
Actually, I was thinking of the things I'd really like to do when I finally plunge into blendering. The biggest things that I seem to like are buildings and furniture/interiors. Yeah, freaking nightmare boring stuff, right? (well, cgarchitect is.. amazing).
But, it has a practical side, as well. I'd like to become a cabinetmaker one day (and do cg on the side, w00t!). I was thinking about some stuff someone else was doing and thought that was a really nifty idea: When a customer comes to you with a project or need, grab some pictures of the site/room, whatever, rough up a design, render it, and then composite it onto the picture so the customer gets a good idea of what they are getting.
Now, I know that Blender doesn't have a raytracer, but with yafray that's pretty much moot. My concern is precision (or lack thereof). Is this kind of work feasible for blender? (granted, I can learn the basics of modelling and rendering, lighting, etc with blender, regardless) Or should I be looking at 3DSMax Architecture or something? ANd I suppose I should ask "where do I start" but I think the answer is pretty obvious: start modelling and learning the tools. :)
Thanks in advance, again. :)

06-30-2003, 03:34 AM
For my money (which always seems to be in short supply) you will find Blender has everything
that you will need for modeling furniture.

Look in the recourses link http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50137
for tutorials regarding curves, beveled objects etc and you will find a plethora of furniture
making tools unveiled in Blender.

Time and diligence are the real keys to learning Blender.

Have fun and I hope to see some of your work soon.

07-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Well PlanetMongo.. I'm sorry, but I got to tell you that SOMEBODY IS ALREADY DOING THAT!!!

Yeap, some time ago I remember a post of some asking about how precise 'Blender Units' where since he wanted to export his blender models into a CAD program. I don't remember the exact figure but the amount of precision was amazing.

Anyways, some answered that HE was actually exporting blend files to AutoCAD, and a computer controled saw/drill (I don't rember well the tool, it is some kind of industrial robot anyways) read the CAD file and produce the actuall furniture out of it.

07-06-2003, 08:48 PM
here it is

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.