LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Pocoyo style facial setup?

01-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I am currently working on a project and a number of my characters will need to have faces similar to that of the Pocoyo characters.
I have a soccer ball and a pencil whose eye's need to be keyable textures and a sailboat with eyes and a mouth on one of the sails representing the face.

I thought it might be something like set driven keys for the various expressions so that it is an easily animated/keyable process but I gather that one will have to link all the textures somehow and it's beyond me, can anyone help?

I am working in maya 8.5.

01-28-2009, 03:15 PM
This is for Max, but maybe this thread could help you

01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks Carlos, I had a look and that's what I had in mind although it's a little over my head especially since it's Max

01-28-2009, 11:21 PM
just a thought for the mouth:

maybe you can try a "Robot Chicken" stop motion mouth look, and leave it floating in front of the face, avoiding maps stuff.... you could try modeling the shapes with a plane, keeping in mind a simple 2d style

can you post some screen of your characters ??

01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Polimeno
I thought that that might be a solution but all the character's faces are rounded and in the case of the sailboat it is going to deform a lot so I'm going to have to use animated textures one way or another.

Here's a link to the character designs. I have not yet modeled them. As you can see the eyebrows are seperate geometry except for the sailboat.

01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

take a look at ~1:16 min , the "toon face tool" shot, you can see the all planes out of the face mesh.
(the nice box with cool eyes)

guess the pencil will be better if you modeling the entire face, though....

keep going.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.