View Full Version : Questions about portfolio and university
01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi, need to ask several questions:
1. In graphic design, you get some image and you edit it and make it into something like.. name card.. can we do this for our portfolio? i mean, the image was not mine, but i took it for making a name card or member card.. in other hand, i see its my own concept of designing the card..
2. When making a porfolio, i want to include a hand drawn picture, but what if i draw the picture based on some image i got from the internet? do i have to include reference? how..
3. How many piece of art is enough to create a good portfolio?
4. Sometimes i see people claim that they want to get out of university because they can learn by themself, and want to go directly to job, so do i actually need to go to a design university to be a great designer?
5. Im not sure do i like 3D designing or not, so far i have been loving 2D design, design logo, design things, and also drawing... but people said that 3D world is wider where you deal with motion and sounds.. I think 3D designer's wage is higher than 2D designer's wage looking at the industry range, so Im not sure should i apply for 3D, or 2D design, what shoud I do?
Sorry for asking, but i'm really curious about this, thanks..
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
1) Youre asking if its ok to put someone else's artwork on your business card, and then use it to sell yourself as an artist? No, its not ok
2) include a copy of the reference and note that its based on someone else's work
3) how long is a piece of string
4) No, but its your choice
5) You cant ask us what you like, you know what you want, YOU decide.
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
2. What if i draw a character based on a picture i get in internet, but i don't draw exactly the same, ex: if i draw a man, i changed the hair style, added background..
do i still need to attach a reference on my portfolio?
5. Is there any way i can explore more about this.. that is recommended.. so i can know which to go 3D or 2D
let me add one more question:
6. i've found an Illustration major, what is the range, or examples of Illustration industry? Is it much different from a graphic designer? whats the difference.. could an Illustrator be a 3D artist?
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes!, if youve used reference and based your image on somebody else work, you have to mention it. Look, youre really not coming across great here, it just sounds like youre trying to find excuses to plagurize somebody else's work.
Youre allowed to use other peoples' work to base your own on, thats fine, but you cant just say "hey look at this cool image I made" and then not mention that all youve done is trace around someone else's work and make the hair spikier
Here's what a teacher told me, if you look at a few pictures of faces to determine how you want to do the the face, there's no need to reference the pictures. But if some had seen the original and then looked at yours and they could easily tell some of it was the same, then you need to reference it
01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.