View Full Version : exporting skeleton + mesh = 70mbs !?!?!?!?

sensai2nd
06 June 2003, 07:17 PM
Alright, I've finally got some characters to export out of LW fine and they auto-characterize in MB fine . . .

BUT. . . the files I'm exporting out of LW are like anywhere from 25 - 80mbs!!! I've tried this with some of the free characters from 3dFestival (Jack Napalm and Noodle), not just my own, and I get the same result . . .

What in the world am I doing to get such huge files when all there is in the scene is the skeleton and the character mesh?
Anyone else run into this situation?

Peace.

Pedrotheartist
06 June 2003, 08:42 PM
I know what you mean, whenever I upload/download FBX files I tend to zip them up.

It's worth remembering that FBX is an uncompressed file format.
I've just this very minute zipped a 15 meg FBX file to a 3.5 meg file.

80 megs is quite impressive though.

policarpo
06 June 2003, 08:48 PM
There's also a lot of motion data embedded in those files. After you merge the animation into LightWave...just save it as a new .LWS and see what happens to the file size, since now all you will be referencing is your .LWO and .LWS and any materials you might have. :)

sensai2nd
06 June 2003, 11:47 PM
yeah, I'll try that Policarpo . . . and this wouldn't even be a big deal if the exporting, in LW, and importing, in MB, didn't take five minutes a piece. . .

I've tried so many variations of doing things and the smallest file I can export out of LW is like 25 megs . . .

Just curious as to what size .fbx file other people's characters are generating . . .

CurtisG
06 June 2003, 12:10 AM
Things that will make you FBX files large:

- Animation data on skeletons
- Morphs or blend shapes
- Video
- Hidden geometery
- Poly count

Check in the scene Navigator to see how many polys are in your scene.

Cheers,

sensai2nd
06 June 2003, 12:26 AM
edit:

hmmm . . . okay, i have no animation data when I export, no morphs or blend shapes, no hidden geometry, that I know of, and the poly count for the character, Proton's "Noodle", is around 43k . . .
Thanks for any input on this, guys; this is driving me nuts . . .

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.