View Full Version : repostioning bones under envelopes

pete
11 November 2008, 05:54 AM
Hi there,
I feel a bit stupid asking this question even but I have searched around for a few hours so here goes. How could i reposition bones on an object that has been skinned without affecting the skinned mesh? I can't remember how the workflow goes...

pequod
11 November 2008, 06:47 AM
I 'mute' the envelope, reposition the bones, select the skeleton, 'Set reference poses' then 'un-mute, the envelope.
Sometimes you have to press the 'Set reference poses' a couple of times before it works. I'm always apprehensive before I do it, I wish there was a less fiddly way of doing it, maybe there is.

Sil3
11 November 2008, 09:16 AM
- Select the Mesh and in the Weight Editor Save the Weights

- Delete the Envelope

- Readjust the Bones

- Apply Envelope again to the exact same items you had before

- Back on the Weight Editor Load the Weights saved earlier

:p

pete
11 November 2008, 05:36 AM
Cool thanks guys :)
Got it working now!

tuna
11 November 2008, 10:04 AM
Sometimes you have to press the 'Set reference poses' a couple of times before it works. I'm always apprehensive before I do it, I wish there was a less fiddly way of doing it, maybe there is.

I've never had to press it more than once for it to work. :shrug: Sometimes objects will need to be branch selected in order for the reference pose to be applied to the hierarchy properly. Nothing to be apprehensive about.

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2008, 10:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.