XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Help please: mesh model animation bugs

11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

I'm trying to animate a walking bear along a spline. Unfortunately I run into problems like this: http://thelemur.com/bear_skin_glitch/

If the model is not attached to a spline using a Path constraint, it looks great. As soon as I attach it to a Path, the deformities start. If I then move the bear along the path, the deformities become more alien-like. (It gets worse the more distance traveled per frame). Problem is, even if the bear sits still at the beginning of the path - it looks deformed.

I have tried removing all unnecessary bone movement including: head swings, shoulder bounce, rib swaying, etc. The top bone structure is stationary, only thing moving is the legs and feet.

A friend recommended checking the bone envelopes. I am new to character animation, so I might be missing something - but every point in the mesh is connected to a bone.

If I remove the "Constant velocity" check from the Path constraint it looks worse.

- 3DS Max 9
- Model is from Turbosquid: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/334242
- The path constraint has "Follow" checked, animating with "Constant velocity", "Loop" is unchecked, following "Y-axis" (flipped).

If anyone can shed light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

11-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I found out what the problem was if anyone ever has this same issue:

The bones were not setup properly, they were Grouped and moved along a spline from 0% to 100% of the spline length. Imagine a bear making a walking motion with its legs, but it is not on the ground - it is hanging from a harness. That harness then moves and rotates from point A to B.

I was told this is not a good way to animate bones. Instead, you need to move the root bones object and limbs manually (or use the footstep tool). Don't Group and animate your bones!

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2008, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.